Caldwell County, Kentucky
From FamilySearch Wiki
(CW Data from Excel)
(Standardized presentation of companies)
|Line 239:||Line 239:|
*[http://www.usgwarchives.net/ky/caldwell/caldwell.html KyGenWeb Archives]
*[http://www.usgwarchives.net/ky/caldwell/caldwell.html KyGenWeb Archives]
:- [[48th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union)|48th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union)]],
:- [[48th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union)|48th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union)]], A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I K
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
Revision as of 00:48, 4 October 2013
Guide to Caldwell County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Caldwell County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||January 31, 1809|
Caldwell County Kentucky Courthouse
Caldwell County Kentucky History
Was formed from Livingston County in 1809. Before that, modern-day Caldwell County was part of Christian, Logan, and Lincoln Counties--Lincoln County being one of the three original counties in Kentucky.
The courthouse fire on 15 Dec 1864 destroyed some records
Caldwell County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Cedar Bluff||Flat Rock||Needmore||Smith Ford|
|Claxton||Fredonia||Otter Pond||The Bluff|
|Cobb||Friendship||Princeton||Tom Gray Ford|
|Creswell||Harper Ford||Pumpkin Center||Utley Ford|
Caldwell County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Caldwell County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Caldwell Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- TheFamily History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Caldwell County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Caldwell County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Caldwell County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Caldwell Co., Ky. Circuit Court
- Fiscal Court
- Caldwell Co., Ky. County Court Clerk
- Caldwell Co. Ky. County Clerk records search, some images available
- US GenWeb Archives 1810 Court Records
- 1835 Court Minutes
- Caldwell Co., KyGenWeb Archives
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Baker] Chapman, Peggy Brown. Bakers of Logan, Christian, Muhlenberg, Livingston, Henderson, Hopkins, Caldwell, Union, Todd, Trigg, Crittenden, Lyon, McLean and Webster Counties & Jackson Purchase, Kentucky. Lubbock, Texas: P.B. Chapman, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 B171cp.
- [Flournoy] Rivers, Flournoy. "The Flournoy Family," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 2, No. 1 (Jul. 1894):81-90; Vol. 2, No. 2 (Oct. 1894):190-213; Vol. 2, No. 3 (Jan. 1895):318-327; Vol. 2, No. 4 (Apr. 1895):437-447; Vol. 3, No. 1 (Jul. 1895):67-79; Vol. 3, No. 4 (Apr. 1896):414-416; Vol. 4, No. 1 (Jul. 1896):97-101. Digitized by JSTOR - free.
- [Gilkey] Gilkey, Kenneth Edward. Gilkeys of Early Kentucky 1780-2000: This Book Focuses Primarily on William Gilkey of Caldwell Co., Ky. and His Descendants and His Brothers, David Gilkey of Union County, Ky. and John Gilkey of Nelson Co. Ky. and Their Descendants. Newburgh, Ind.: K.E. Gilkey, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 G397g
- [Sassin] Allen, Cameron. "Francois Sasin/Sassin of Manakin Town: The First Six Generations of the Sassin/Sasseen Family in America," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 37, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1993):3-17; Vol. 37, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1993):99-116; Vol. 37, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1993):193-205; Vol. 37, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1993):259-271. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 37 (1993).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Caldwell County, Kentucky. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Military Caldwell Co., Ky. Cemeteries
- WW II Memorial- Caldwell
- WWII Memorial- Fredonia
- Caldwell Co., KyGenWeb Military Research
- KyGenWeb Archives
Regiments. Service men in Caldwell County, Kentucky served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Caldwell County, Kentucky:
- - 48th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and K.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Caldwell County, Kentucky newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Caldwell County, Kentucky Clerk of Court and are housed at the Caldwell County, Kentucky Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1809-1968 - Will Books A to G (1809-1968) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Caldwell County, Kentucky Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Caldwell County, Kentucky Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1861 - Caldwell County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517161 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1875 - Caldwell County Birth Index 1874-1875. Batch C517162 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1911-1930 - Caldwell Co., KyGenWeb Birth Records 1911-1930
- 1852-1861 - Caldwell County Marriage Index 1852-1861. Batch M517161 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1878 - Caldwell County Marriage Index 1878. Batch M517163 at FamilySearch - free.
- Unknown dates, part of the Caldwell Co., Ky. County Clerk records search
- KY Death Records
- Vital records Project
- Caldwell Co., Ky. Unmarked Burials
- Caldwell Co., Ky. County Court Records
- Ky Vital records Index
- Caldwell Co., Ky. Message Board
- Morgan's Funeral Home (Recent Obits)
Caldwell County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- George Coon Public Library
- Glenn Martin Genealogy Research Library
- Caldwell Co., Ky. Historical Society
- Caldwell Co., Ky. Genealogy Society
- Fredonia Valley Heritage Society
Family History Centers
Caldwell County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
Caldwell County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Caldway County, Kentucky page 269, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki