Caldwell County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Caldwell County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Caldwell County, Missouri|
| [[Image:|200px|Map of Missouri highlighting Caldwell County ]]|
Location in the state of Missouri
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||December 29, 1836|
|Address|| Caldwell County Courthouse|
49 E Main Street
PO Box 67
Kingston, MO 64650-0067
Caldwell County Website
Recorder Office has marriage and land records; Clerk Circuit
Court has divorce records; Circuit Court division 2, has probate
records; Circuit Court, division 1, has court records
See an interactive map of Caldwell County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
Brown Cemetery is a small old, but well kept cemetery in Kingston Township which is located about two miles south and 1 3/4 mile west of Kingston, Missouri. (The turn to head west had us on an unpaved road for awhile.)
Cox Cemetery is also known as Spring Valley Cemetery.It is located 3 miles north of Kingston to U Highway, 5 1/2 east to New York School (along this road you will pass Pleasant Ridge Cemetery and maybe even Pleasant Ridge Road), then south 2 1/4 miles, then turn right onto Pleasant Ridge (which is just before you would cross the railroad track). (Prior to your right turn onto Pleasant Ridge, if you look carefully through the trees on the right there is a small white sign with red letters saying "Cox Cemetery" and an arrow pointing to go right.) Then go about 1 mile. The cemetery will be on your right. 39 degrees 29 minutes 17 North 93 degrees 56 minutes 3 West. It is kept mowed.
Ellsberry, Elizabeth Prather, comp.. Cemetery Records of Breckenridge, Caldwell County, Missouri. Chillicothe, MO, USA: Elizabeth Prather Ellsberry, c1965. Available on Ancestry.com.
For tips on accessing Caldwell County, Missouri census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
"Church and Family History Research Assistance for Caldwell County, Missouri" Primitive Baptist Library of Carthage, Illinois. First link is to article is about the Primitive Baptist Log Creek Church. Includes member surnames.
The Caldwell County Courthouse is located at 49 E. Main St., Kingston, Missouri. They have an bound volume containing an index to estate packets, and the staff will get individual estate packets for you to look at, after you locate the estate packet number in the index. They charge $1.00 for copies, but will let you use your flash-off digital camera. The index and associated estate packets are NOT on microfilm at the FHL. Found original tombstone orders complete with what was to be inscribed on the tombstone in the estate packet we looked at that was for an individual who died in 1858. Also original tax receipts and original newspaper clippings of public notice in these estate packets.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Caldwell County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Map of Caldwell County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Caldwell County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Civil War service men from Caldwell County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Caldwell County.
- 6th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union) - Regimental roster
- 33rd Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Companies E, F, and G - Regimental roster
- 44th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Companies C, F, and H - Regimental roster
- Caldwell County, Missouri Home Guard (Union), - Regimental roster
- Hughes' Regiment, Missouri State Guard - Confederate, Company D, first known as the Caldwell Minute Men, then the Caldwell Light Infantry Company
- Vilmer, J. D., comp. The Civil War and Caldwell County, 1861-1865. (s.l.: Caldwell County Historical Society, c2011).
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Caldwell County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
- The Archives of The Chillicothe Constitution Tribune (1889-2009) provides free access to their newspapers online. Their newspapers covered local news that included residents from Caldwell County communities.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- [1817-1868] Caldwell County (Missouri). Recorder's Office. Record of births, 1817-1868. ((Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 2009) Microfilm of original records at the Caldwell County Courthouse in Kingston, Missouri. FHL catalog states: "Microfilm of original records at the Caldwell County Courthouse in Kingston, Missouri." FHL US/CAN Film 2438664 Item 1.
- [1885-1886] Births & Stillbirths - 1885/6 USGenWeb Caldwell county, Missouri.
- [1845-1871] Ellsberry, Elizabeth Prather, compiler. Marriage records of Caldwell County, Missouri, 1845-1871. FHL US/CAN Book 977.8185 V25e. Searchable on Ancestry.com.
- [1845-1872] Index to Marriage Records, Book A, 1845-1872 USGenWeb Caldwell county, Missouri.
- Caldwell County Missouri Marriage Records
- 1860-1885 - Caldwell County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1860-1885. Batch M514691 at FamilySearch - free.
- [1860+] FHL has microfilm of original records at the Missouri State Archives in Jefferson City, Missouri and at the Caldwell County Courthouse in Kingston, Missouri. Records filmed include indexes, applications, license, colored, etc. See FHL catalog.
- [1872-1881] Marriage Records, Book B, 1872-1881. USGenWeb Caldwell county, Missouri.
- [1896-1897] Marriage Records, Book F, 1896-1897 USGenWeb Caldwell county, Missouri.
- [1905-1907] Marriage Records, 1905-1907 USGenWeb Caldwell county, Missouri.
- Caldwell County, Missouri Mortality Records of 1850 & 1860 USGenWeb Caldwell county, Missouri.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Caldwell County Historical Society, Inc.
89 West Main
P.O. Box 32
Kingston, Missouri 64650
Website in process
- Caldwell County historical records
- Historical artifacts
- 1831–1838 Mormon era cabin room
- Pre-1860 original home (museum)
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Caldwell County, Missouri. Page 398 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki