Camden County, Georgia
From FamilySearch Wiki
(add Land introduction)
(Added newspaper repository template)
|Line 97:||Line 97:|
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Probate ====
==== Probate ====
Revision as of 19:00, 10 May 2013
Guide to Camden County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Camden County, Georgia|
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 5, 1777|
|Address|| Camden County Courthouse|
PO Box 99
Woodbine, GA 31569
Camden County Website
Camden County Georgia Courthouse
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court, and land records; Probate Court has birth, marriage, death and probate records
Camden County Georgia History
1777--Camden County was created 5 February 1777 from St. Thomas and St. Mary Parishes.
County seat: Woodbine 
Camden County Georgia Places/Localities
Camden County Georgia Genealogy Resources
Episcopal Mission District
- 1885-1922 - Episcopal Mission District Baptism Index 1885-1922. Batch C712321 at FamilySeach - free.
- 1852-1902 - Episcopal Mission District Marriage Index 1885-1902. Batch M712321 at FamilySearch - free.
St. Mary's Church of Our Saviour
- 1887-1895 - St. Mary's Church of Our Saviour Marriage Index 1887-1895. Batch M712341 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787-1885 - St. Mary's Methodist Episcopal Church South Baptism Index 1787-1885. Batch C712351 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787-1895 - St. Mary's Methodist Episcopal Church South Marriage Index 1787-1895. Batch M712351 at FamilySearch - free.
1892 St. Mary's, Georgia City Directory (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Camden County Marriages 1818-1890 Georgia Pioneers
Camden County Marriages (from Newspapers) 1885-1890 Georgia Pioneers
Camden County World War I Service Records 1917-1919 (Army, Navy, Marines) (digital images)
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Camden County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
Camden County Will Bk C 1885-1900 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
- 1852-1895 - Camden County Marriage Index 1852-1895. Batch M712332 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1895 - Camden County Marriage Index 1852-1895. Batch M712333 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-70, 1879-80 - Camden County, Georgia Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Camden County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Camden County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Camden County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
Camden County Georgia Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Camden County, Georgia. Page 152 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page