Carroll County, Maryland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
225 North Center St.
Westminster, MD 21157
- Named for Charles Carroll of Carrollton (he signed this way) (1737-1832), the last surviving signer of Declaration of Independence.
- 1837--Carroll County was created 19 January 1837 from Baltimore and Frederick counties by taking the following hundreds from Baltimore County: North Hundred, Pipe Creek Hundred, Delaware Upper Hundred, Delaware Lower Hundred and from Frederick County: Pipe Creek Hundred, Westminster Hundred, Unity Hundred, Burnt House Hundred, Piney Creek Hundred, and Taneytown Hundred. County seat: Westminster.
Interment.net Cemetery Listings for Carroll County, MD. Includes contact information for many cemetaries in the county and volunteer contributed index lists for many of them.
Federal Census reports available 1840-1930 including slave and veterans schedules.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in the Carroll County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions.
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Carroll County Deed Books (1837-present) have been uploaded to their website: MDLandRec.Net: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Maryland, Carroll County on page 127.]
- Carroll County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- Maryland Death Certificate Index 1898-1944, available online, courtesy: Vital Records Indexing Project, Maryland State Archives.
Societies and Libraries
- The Carroll County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Carroll County MD Genealogy
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Carroll County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Carroll County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Carroll County.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More