Carter County, Tennessee Compiled GenealogiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Carter County, Tennessee family before?
Message boards and online family trees can help you learn if someone is actively researching your ancestors. More than 30 books or articles have been published about Carter County's families. Descendants of some historic residents have had their DNA tested. <no include> </no include>
- Main article: Carter County, Tennessee
Gordon Aronhime (1911-1983) collected information on hundreds of Southwest Virginia and East Tennessee pioneers. His note cards, which reference more than 4,000 early settlers of the Holston-Clinch River area and East Tennessee (1770s-1790s), are held at the Library of Virginia. The cards have been digitized and made available online.
For early families (pre-1796), start with:
- East Tennessee Historical Society. First Families of Tennessee: A Register of Early Settlers and Their Present-day Descendants. Knoxville, Tenn.: East Tennessee Historical Society, 2000. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 H2ff.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Cable] Buckingham, Marie Cable and Juanita Wilson. The Descendants of Casper and Elizabeth (Baker) Cable: 1755 thru 2000. n.p.: M. Buckingham & J. Wilson, 2001. FHL 929.273 C112bw
- [Carter] Bennett, Frances Helm. The Hampton, Helm & Carter Families. Carmel, Ind.: unknown, 1968. Digital versions available at Ancestry ($); and Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Carter] Henry, John J. and Audrey Duffield Henry. A History of the Carter and Duffield Family of Carter Co. and Johnson Co. in East Tennessee: With Reference to the Virginia Carter Family and the East Tennessee Families of Taylor, Lowe and Stout. Oak Ridge, Tenn.: J.J. Henry, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 C245hj.
- [Drake] Calton, H.W. Our Ancestors Benjamin Drake & Sara Buchanan. Springfield, Missouri: H.W. Calton, 1994. FHL 929.273 D789c
- [Duffield] Henry, John J. and Audrey Duffield Henry. A History of the Carter and Duffield Family of Carter Co. and Johnson Co. in East Tennessee: With Reference to the Virginia Carter Family and the East Tennessee Families of Taylor, Lowe and Stout. Oak Ridge, Tenn.: J.J. Henry, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 C245hj.
- [Gourley] Powers, Negetha Gourley. Captain Thomas Gourley and Kin: Early Settlers of Virginia. Bristol, Va.: N.G. Powers, 1984. FHL 929.273 G743p
- [Hampton] Bennett, Frances Helm. The Hampton, Helm & Carter Families. Carmel, Ind.: unknown, 1968. Digital versions available at Ancestry ($); and Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Haynes] Shores, Robert Merritt. Haynes Family: Descendants of George Haynes (1757-1836) of Winchester & Frederick County Virginia and Carter County Tennessee. Tucson, Arizona: R.M. Shores, 1991.
- [Helm] Bennett, Frances Helm. The Hampton, Helm & Carter Families. Carmel, Ind.: unknown, 1968. Digital versions available at Ancestry ($); and Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Hendrix] Hendrix, Violet Hendrix. The Hendrix Family of Carter County, Tennessee: Descendants of John Hendrix 1756-1846. Kingsport, Tenn.: Hendrix, 1976. FHL Book 929.273 H385a.
- [Humphreys] See Sams.
- [Jobe] Hsiung, David C. A Montaineer in Motion: The Memoir of Dr. Abraham Jobe, 1817-1806. Knoxville TN: University of Tennessee Press, 2009. [The memoirs of a Carter County native who was a physician and businessman.]
- [Macklin] DAR (Tennessee) Genealogical Records Committee. Alexander Macklin of Carter County, Tennessee. Typescript, 1947. FHL Film 876555 Item 6.
- [Mottern] Mottern, Hugh H. William Mottern Family of Turkeytown, East Tennessee, Elizabethton, Carter County. Glenview, Ill.: H.H. Mottern, 1962. FHL Book 929.273 M858m.
- [Munn] Munn, Irvin Warren. Munn Genealogy, ca. 1773-1960. Typescript, microfilmed 1968. FHL 564125 Item 7.
- [Nave] Nave, Robert T. and Margaret W. Hougland. Teter Nave. East Tennessee Pioneer: His Ancestors and Descendants. Baltimore: Gateway Press, 2007. FHL 929.273 N229nr
- [Patton] Patton, D.A. A Record of the Family of John Patton. Johnson City, Tenn.: Staff Job Office, 1900. FHL 110 Item 4
- [Patton] Munday, Harold Arthur. A Record of the Family of John Patton ... Charlotte, N.C.; Marceline, Missouri: Herb Eaton and Wadsworth Publishing, 1979. FHL 929.273 P278m
- [Range] Mumaw, Lola Range. Peter and Ida Range: Ancestors and Descendants, Carter County, Tennessee. Sandwich, Ill.: L.R. Mumaw, 1978. FHL Book 929.273 R163a.
- [Redmon] Fobes, Lawrence G. Redmon. 1976?. FHL 929.273 R248b
- [Reno] Reno, Guy B. John Reno and Susannah Thorn m. Nov. 17, 1737 and Their Issue. Rockford, Ill.: G.B. Reno, 1972. FHL Book 929.273 R295re.
- [Sams] Turner, Alice Bellvadore. In Memoriam, John Sams and Susan Evaline Sams Colfax, Iowa: n.p., 1902. FHL Film 1018896 Item 8; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Sams] Sams, Ernest Reginald, Daisy Sams Wilson and Crawford F. Sams. Sams Family of William Berry Sams (b. 1853; d. 1895) and Nancy Emmerine Williams (b. 1851; d. 1926): Additions to the Sams Family of Virginia by Crawford F. Sams. 1984. FHL 929.273 S149s supp. 1
- [Sevier] Turner, Francis Marion. Life of General John Sevier New York: The Neale Publishing Co., 1910. Free digital copy, courtesy: Internet Archive.
- [Sevier] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1926. Vol. 4. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Smith] Reeves, Emma Cornelia Barrett. Tennessee Smithology. Lufkin, Texas: Pineywood Printing, 1975. FHL 929.273 Sm55a
- [Taylor] Armstrong, Zella. Taylor of Tennessee. Chattanooga, TN: Lookout Pub. Co., 1933. FHL Film 1036349 Item 9. Digital version available at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Wallace] Williams, Joseph Vincent. James Tate Williams, His Family and Recollections. Kingsport, Tenn.: Kingsport Press, 1928. FHL 1429818 Item 2
- [Williams] Williams, Joseph Vincent. James Tate Williams, His Family and Recollections. Kingsport, Tenn.: Kingsport Press, 1928. FHL 1429818 Item 2
- [Wills] Neal, Carl B. The Wills Family of Johnson County, Tennessee. Olympia, Wash.: [J. Kvatum?], 1960. FHL 929.273 W685a
- [Woodby] Austin, Helen Cook. The Woodby Family of the East Tennessee Mountains: Including Some Ancestors of Sudie Honeycutt and Minnie Proctor-Welch-Melton. Decatur, Ala.: Ryan Crest Studio Pub. and Genealogy Organization, 1998. FHL 929.273 W852a
- ↑ "Original Virginia Records Imaged and Indexed Online," Arlene Eakle's Virginia Genealogy Blog, 12 October 2008.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News