Carteret County, North CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Carteret County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Carteret County Courthouse
Cateret Count Courthouse Square
Beaufort, NC 28516
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage and death and land records
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, Probate and court records
- Carteret County cemetery information - via NCGenWeb Archives
- Carteret County cemeteries - via Find-A-Grave.com
- Carteret County census records - via the NCGenWeb Archives
For tips on accessing Carteret County, North Carolina census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Church records - via the NCGenWeb Archives
- Hadnor's Creek aka Hadnot's Creek. Constituted 1789.
- Newport River aka Newport and North River. Constituted 1778.
Church of England
- St. John's Parish. Established 1742. Vestry minutes begin 1742.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Harker's Island
- Court records - transcribed for the NCGenWeb Archives
- Several NC state business directories are available online. Visit this list of directories, open the directory, and navigate to Cartetert County. Directories include information on area businesses and citizens.
- Carteret County students at NC colleges – via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- [Middleton] Brown, Leslie H. "John Middleton of Hampton, Va., and Onslow County, N.C.," The American Genealogist, Vol. 55, No. 3 (Jul. 1979):161-162. FHL 973 D25aga v. 55
- Deeds of Carteret County - via the NCGenWeb Archives
- Carteret County Maps - almost 100 maps from the North Carolina State Library
- Carteret County miltary records - check the "Military" section on the Carteret County NCGenWeb page
- Military records - transcribed for the NCGenWeb Archives
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Carteret County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in North Carolina.
Civil War Confederate units
Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Carteret County newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county; via the Library of Congress
- North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project - contains full-text papers from 1752-1890s. Search for your Carteret County ancestors.
- Carteret County News Times - current newspaper in the county
- Alphabetical Index of Wills 1681-1888 - via Carteret County NCGenWeb
- Carteret County wills & estates - transcribed for the NCGenWeb Archives
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Carteret County, North Carolina Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1745-1957 - Will Books A to H (1745-1957) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Carteret County Tax Lists - via the NCGenWeb Archives
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state ; via FamilySearch
- Carteret County Marriages - transcribed for the NCGenWeb Archives
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - via FamilySearch; images included
- Carteret County marriages - are included in Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searcheable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- Carteret County Marriages 1771-1868. Available to members. North Carolina Pioneers
- North Carolina Marriages to 1799, a database, available to members North Carolina Pioneers
- Carteret County Obituaries - transcribed for the NCGenWeb
- Carteret County deaths - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - via FamilySearch; images included
- North Carolina Deaths & Burials, 1898-1994 - via FamilySearch
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Harkers Island North Carolina Family History Center
- Morehead City North Carolina Family History Center
- Carteret County NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project.
- Grandpa was a Whaler - post by Mark Green about the Chadwick family
- Family History Library Catalog
- North Carolina Pioneers North Carolina Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carteret County, North Carolina. Page 507 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 (1808), Chapter 16. Digital version at St Paul's Seminary website; George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:491-492, 2:561-562. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- ↑ Robert J. Cain, ed., The Church of England in North Carolina: Documents, 1699-1741 (Raleigh, N.C.: Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, 1999), 432. FHL Book 975.6 K2cr.
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 8 August, 2012)