Christian County, Kentucky
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Changed CW Data from Excel to correct county)
(Standardized presentation of companies)
|Line 264:||Line 264:|
*[http://usgwarchives.net/ky/military/wwi/ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY] ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
*[http://usgwarchives.net/ky/military/wwi/ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY] ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
===== Civil War =====
===== Civil War =====
:- [[3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)|3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)]],
:- [[3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)|3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)]], A, B, C, , K M
==== Miscellaneous ====
==== Miscellaneous ====
Revision as of 00:49, 4 October 2013
Guide to Christian County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Christian County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 13, 1796|
Christian County Kentucky Courthouse
Christian County Kentucky History
1864--A disaster destroyed most records.
Christian County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Barkers Mill||Era||Honey Grove||Ovil|
|Binns Mill||Fedelio||Julien||Pleasant Green Hill|
|Bluff Spring||Fort Campbell||Kelly||Pleasant Hill|
|Carl||Fruit Hill||Kennedy||Saint Elmo|
|Church Hill||Gracey||Mannington||West Brook|
Christian County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Christian Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project Tombstone Transcription Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Christian County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- TheFamily History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Christian County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Christian County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
LDS Cemetery Records
Vol. 1 page 11 - Barnes Cemetery
Vol. 1 page 13 - Dunning Farm Cemetery
For tips on accessing Christian County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Adams] Maloney, James Hallett. "Drury Hatcher of Cumberland County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 49, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 2005):243-256; Vol. 50, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2006):51-59. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Baker] Chapman, Peggy Brown. Bakers of Logan, Christian, Muhlenberg, Livingston, Henderson, Hopkins, Caldwell, Union, Todd, Trigg, Crittenden, Lyon, McLean and Webster Counties & Jackson Purchase, Kentucky. Lubbock, Texas: P.B. Chapman, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 B171cp.
- [Cocke] Hart, Lyndon H. "The Cocke Family in Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 44, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2000):41-61; Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):146-156; Vol. 44, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 2000):203-215; Vol. 44, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 2000):309-315; Vol. 45, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2001):23-36; Vol. 45, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2001):132-148; Vol. 45, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 2001):208-219; Vol. 45, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 2001):278-288; Vol. 46, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2002):42-46. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [de Graffenried] de Graffenried, Thomas Pritchett. History of the de Graffenried Family from 1191 A.D. to 1925. Binghampton, N.Y.: Vail-Ballou Press, 1925. Digital version at Internet Archive - free; FHL Book 929.273 G758g.
- [Finley] Finley, Carmen J. "John Finley of Montgomery/Wythe County, Virginia: Additional Children Identified," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1995):3-22; Vol. 39, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1995):94-103; Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):202-212; Vol. 39, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1995):282-294. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 39 (1995).
- [Henry] Rivers, Flournoy. "The Flournoy Family," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 2, No. 1 (Jul. 1894):81-90; Vol. 2, No. 2 (Oct. 1894):190-213; Vol. 2, No. 3 (Jan. 1895):318-327; Vol. 2, No. 4 (Apr. 1895):437-447; Vol. 3, No. 1 (Jul. 1895):67-79; Vol. 3, No. 4 (Apr. 1896):414-416; Vol. 4, No. 1 (Jul. 1896):97-101. Digitized by JSTOR - free.
- [Lindsey] Shinn, Josiah Hazen. Pioneers and Makers of Arkansas. Little Rock, Ark.: Democrat Printing and Lithographing Co., 1908. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Sassin] Allen, Cameron. "Francois Sasin/Sassin of Manakin Town: The First Six Generations of the Sassin/Sasseen Family in America," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 37, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1993):3-17; Vol. 37, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1993):99-116; Vol. 37, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1993):193-205; Vol. 37, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1993):259-271. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 37 (1993). *[Shipp] Sanders, Walter R. The Shipp Genealogy from Essex, Caroline, Fa[u]quier Counties, Virginia, to Green, Taylor, Woodford, Jefferson, Fayette, Christian, Bourbon, Scott, Owen, Counties, Kentucky, and Johnson Counties, Indiana. Typescript. Microfilmed 1971. FHL Book 929.273 Sh64s; FHL Film 875372 Item 5
- The KY Land Office
- The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Christian County land records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
Local histories are available for Christian County, Kentucky. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Fowler, W.T. Christian County, Kentucky. Hopkinsville, Ky.: n.p., 1915. Digital version at Kentuckiana Digital Library.
- Perrin, William Henry. Counties of Christian and Trigg, Kentucky: Historical and Biographical. Chicago; Louisville: F.A. Battey, 1884. Digital version at Kentuckiana Digital Library.
- ~ The Archives of Appalachia
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Christian County, Kentucky served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Christian County, Kentucky:
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Companies A, B, C, I, K and M.
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- 1874-2008 - Kentucky New Era (Hopkinsville, Ky.) at Google News - free.
- 1887-1912 - Weekly Kentucky New Era (Hopkinsville, Ky.) at Google News - free.
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Christian County, Kentucky newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Christian County, Kentucky Clerk of Court and are housed at the Christian County, Kentucky Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1797-1921 - Will Books (1797-1921) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1797 - "Christian County Tax List 1797," Tree Builders, Christian County Genealogical Society, Vol. 28, No. 1 (Spring 2007):5-10. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 1798 - "Christian County Tax List 1798," Tree Builders, Christian County Genealogical Society, Vol. 28, No. 1 (Spring 2007):5-13. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Christian County, Kentucky is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Christian County, Kentucky Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Christian County, Kentucky Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1862 - Christian County Birth Index 1852-1862. Batch C517221 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1875 - Christian County Birth Index 1874-1875. Batch C517222 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1860 - Christian County Marriage Index 1852-1860. Batch M517221 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1861 - Christian County Marriage Index 1852-1861. Batch M517225 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1875 - Christian County Marriage Index 1874-1875. Batch M517223 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Christian County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517224 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- "Christian Co., KY Marriage Bonds through 1820," published in Tree Builders, Christian County Genealogical Society, Vol. 22 (2001), beginning on page 44. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Christian County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Christian County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
-  USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Christian County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Christian County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Christian County, Kentucky page 269, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Voice of Dorothy Murphy (b. 1927), life-long resident of Central City, Ky. (2011)
- ↑ G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback