Clark County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Clark County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Clark County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 6, 1792|
Clark County Kentucky Courthouse
34 S Main Street Rm 103
Winchester, KY 40391-2600
Clark County Kentucky History
Clark County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Becknerville||Forest Grove||Mina||Sewell Shop|
|Bel Air||Goffs Corner||Mount Zion||Stoner Creek Settlement (hist.)|
|Bloomingdale||Hampton Manor||Old Pine Grove||Tebbs|
|Bon Haven||Hedges||Pilot View||Trapp|
|Charleston (hist.)||Hunt||Pine Grove||Wesleyan Park|
|Dunaway Station (hist.)||Locust Grove||Rightangle|
|Elkin||Log Lick||Rockwell Village (hist.)|
Clark County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Clark Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Clark County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Clark County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Clark County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
For tips on accessing Clark County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
| *USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930|
| The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project |
| *Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project |
| *Census Online ~ Census Online|
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Hall] Hayden, Richard A. "Early Hall Family Pioneers of Frederick County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 37, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1993):163-174. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 37 (1993).
- [Hickman] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Hickman] Fay, Mary Smith. "The Three James Hickmans: Identifying Revolutionary War Veterans," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 41, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1997):52-54. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Lampton] Keith, Clayton. Sketch of the Lampton Family in America, 1740-1914. Louisiana, Mo.: C. Keith, 1914. FHL US/CAN Film 1321273 Item 10; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Stafford] Stafford, Carolyn Joy. The Biography of Thomas Moore Stafford, 1841-1910 of City of Louisville, Clark, and Nicholas Counties, Kentucky and Citrus and Lee Counties, Florida: Saddler, Soldier, Settler. Brandon, Fla.: C.J. Stafford, 2007. FHL Book 921.73 St13s; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Watts] Heinemann, Charles Brunk. John Watts Family of Clark County, Kentucky: (Watts Family No. 2). 1934?. FHL Book 929.273 W349he.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Clark County, Kentucky served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Clark County, Kentucky:
- - 2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Woodward's) - CSA - Company A.
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate) - CSA - Company C.
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1793-1868 - Will Books 1 to 19 (1793-1868) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- 1792 - Burbridge, Sandra, submitter. "1792 Tax Roll for Clark County, Kentucky", Clark County KyGenWeb.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Clark County, Kentucky is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- 1852-1861 - Clark County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517231 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Clark County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517232 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1876 - Clark County Birth Index 1875-1876. Batch C517233 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1829-1853 - Clark County Marriage Index 1829-1853. Batch M539821 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Clark County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517231 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Clark County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517234 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Clark County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517235 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1895 - Clark County Marriage Index 1895. Batch M517231 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Clark County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Clark County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Clark County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Clark County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clark County, Kentucky page 269, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.