Clay County, Georgia
From FamilySearch Wiki
(add Land introduction)
(Added newspaper repository templae)
|Line 78:||Line 78:|
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Probate ====
==== Probate ====
Revision as of 19:41, 10 May 2013
Guide to Clay County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Clay County, Georgia|
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 16, 1854|
|County Seat||Fort Gaines|
|Address|| Clay County Courthouse|
210 S Washington
PO Box 550
Fort Gaines, GA 31751-0550
Clay County Website
Clay County Georgia Courthouse
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and land records
Clay County Georgia History
Clay County Georgia Places/Localities
Clay County Georgia Genealogy Resources
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Clay County Marriages 1842-1892, transcript, Georgia Pioneers ($)
Indexes to Clay County Marriages 1871-1877; 1877-1888 Georgia Pioneers (S)
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Clay County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
Index to Will Book A 1852-1922 Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($)
Index to Inventories, Appraisements, Sales, Book A, 1859-1873 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Index to Annual Returns 1875-1902 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Digital Images of Clay County Wills 1852-1870. See names of Testators Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
- 1854-1888 - Clay County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1854-1888. Batch M712511 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1889-1929 - Clay County Marriage Books D and E Index 1889-1929. Batch M712512 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1859-60, 1869-70, 1879-80 - Clay County, Georgia Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Clay County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Clay County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Clay County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers ($)
Clay County Georgia Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clay County, Georgia. Page 153 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "Henry Clay," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.