Columbiana County, Ohio
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Added land and property intro)
(Added local history intro)
|Line 79:||Line 79:|
==== Genealogy ====
==== Genealogy ====
==== History ====
==== Land and Property ====
==== Land and Property ====
Revision as of 22:01, 6 February 2013
|Columbiana County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| 105 S. Market St.|
Lisbon, Ohio 44432
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Jefferson County 25 March 1803.
- County Seat: Lisbon
- Neighboring Counties: Columbiana County, Ohio residents may also have records in Mahoning (north) · Jefferson (south) · Stark (west) · Carroll (southwest) · Beaver County, Pennsylvania (east) · Hancock County, West Virginia (southeast)
See an interactive map of Columbiana County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- East Liverpool
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Columbiana County, Ohio. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Ohio Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Ohio Land and Property for additional information about early Ohio land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
The following Civil War battle was fought in Meigs County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Ohio.
- Civil War service men from Columbiana County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Columbiana County.
- - 104th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies B, C, F, G, and K
- - 105th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Company H
Naturalization and Citizenship
Columbiana County, Ohio newspapers may contain genealogical value including obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, family gatherings, family travel, achievements, business notices, engagement information, and probate court proceedings.
To access newspapers, contact public libraries, Ohio Genealogical Society chapters, college or university libraries, the Library of Congress, Google News, or the Ohio Historical Society. The Ohio Genealogical Society Obituary Database is another source of newspaper information.
For more Ohio newspaper information see the Newspaper Guides on the wiki page Ohio Newspapers. Online Newspapers
Online Newspaper Abstracts
Newspaper Extracts and Abstracts in Book Form
Finding More Ohio Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Columbiana County, Ohio newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records created after 1852 are held by the Columbiana County, Ohio Probate Court. From 1797 or the creation of the county, probate records were held by the Court of Common Pleas. Most counties transferred all records to the Probate Court, but in some circumstances, Court of Common Pleas records should be searched for records prior to 1852. Most records are housed at the Columbiana County, Ohio Courthouse. Some records are on microfilm at the Ohio Genealogical Society and the Family History Library. For more complete information about the location of county probate records see:
- Carol Willsey Bell, Ohio Wills and Estates to 1850: An Index (1981).  FamilySearch Books Online - Free online copy.
See the wiki page Ohio Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (1867-1908 only).
Columbiana County Courthouse
105 S Market Street
Lisbon, OH 44432-1255
Court Clerk has divorce and court records.
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records.
County Recorder has land records.
Family History Centers
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Ohio enacted a statute in 1856 -1857 requiring registration of births, deaths and marriages, many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1867 but, again, was not always followed. By 1908, the law was more clearly defined and kept. Any existing birth and death records from 1867 through December 19, 1908 are located at the Columbiana County, Ohio Probate Court. The Ohio Department of Health has birth records filed after December 20, 1908 and death records filed after January 1, 1954 while the Ohio Historical Society houses death records from December 20, 1908 through December 31, 1953.
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 541, Columbiana County, Ohio. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Columbiana County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbiana_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 9 August, 2012)
- ↑ Carol Willsey Bell, Ohio Wills and Estates to 1850: An Index (Columbus, Ohio: the author, 1981). FamilySearch Books Online - Free online copy.
|This Ohio-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki