Community NewsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Submitting Images of living persons
There are new guidelines for submitting pictures of living persons. Please check out FamilySearch Wiki:Image use#Images of persons.
Non-English Wikis up and running (5 Sept 2013)
Have you noticed that the other Wikis now have new main pages? See the new German and Chinese Wiki main pages just put up last Tuesday (3 Sept 2013). Other languages that have been up for a while: French, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Swedish. Check them out.
We are looking for contributors for these Wikis. If you have specialized research knowledge on any of these countries, we could sure use your research experiences in developing these non-English Wikis.
New Wiki Home Page Design (Nov 16, 2012)
Wiki Community Council has been created! (Nov 16, 2012)
The Wiki Community Council has been created, and they held their first meeting on November 14, 2012. The purpose of the council is to be advocates of the FamilySearch Research Wiki and help promote the Wiki to the genealogy community, and to be advocates of the Wiki Community to FamilySearch.
Would you like to see something done in the wiki? Would you like help for a WikiProject, either setting one up, or finding volunteers, or anything else? The Community Council can help.
Creating a Wiki Community Council (Sep 20, 2012)
Calling all Wiki contributors,
The creation of a Wiki Community Council, made up of wiki editors from the general public, has been a common discussion over the last couple of years. The purpose of the Council is:
- To be advocates of the FamilySearch Research Wiki and help promote the Wiki to the genealogy community, and to be advocates of the Wiki Community to FamilySearch.
While many things can be done on the Wiki without any need for a Council or governing board, a Community Council can help by educating community members about the best ways to "get things done" in the wiki. It can support community members with the things that they would like to do to make the wiki better. It can make recommendations to FamilySearch for major changes to the wiki that require FamilySearch support or authorization.
It is finally time to create this Council. A forum thread includes a document setting out the Charter and Scope of this council with more specifics of what it will be involved in.
We invite your nominations now, to recommend those you have seen as valuable members of the community to be a part of this council. Do you see someone who has done great work in the Wiki? Someone who is an advocate for the general public? Please send your ideas and nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Sign-in Option (Jul 23, 2012)
Tired of the wiki signing you out when you are in the middle of editing a page?
When you sign in now, you can check the box "Stay signed in for 2 weeks" and not worry about getting kicked out in the middle of an edit! When you Sign Out in the Wiki, you will probably be taken to FamilySearch.org and signing in there brings up the 2-week option.
Community Support Meeting, Wiki Contributors Meeting, Technical Meeting Time and Date Change
- Community Support - This meeting has been scheduled for 9:00 am on Tuesday morning in the past. It will now be held at 9:30 am on Thursday morning.
- Wiki Contributors - Previously met at 1:00 pm on Tuesday afternoon. It will now be held on Thursday afternoon at 1:00 pm
- Technical Meeting - Previously held at 2:00 pm on Tuesday afternoon, will now be held on Thursday afternoon at 2:00 pm.
- This change will take place on 28 June, 2012.
Milestone for Links from Learning Center to Wiki Pages (12 Jan 2012)
--Carol B. Moss 22:46, 12 January 2012 (UTC)
Live Chat is now available to Wiki Users (9 Jan 2012) Update (18 June 2012)
Phone support has been added and is functioning. Follow the instructions below, and the hours remain the same.
Anyone needing personal help with the Wiki can now initiate a Live Chat with a Wiki Support person. The best method is to go to FamilySearch.org:
- Click on "Ask for Help" at the bottom of the page
- Then click on" Contact FamilySearch" on the right hand side of the page
- "Click here to start an online chat"
- A list of options will appear. Wiki is number 8 on the list.
- For phone support, Use Option 3, ResearchHelp and then Option 3 again for the Wiki.
Note: This option will not work with Chrome. Your browser must be Internet Explorer or Firefox.
Live Chat will be available as follows: (All Mountain time)
- Monday - 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Tuesday - 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Wednesday - 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Thursday - 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Friday - 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News