County WaterfordEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
County Waterford (Irish: Contae Phort Láirge) is a county in Ireland. It is located in the province of Munster.
County Waterford is a maritime county and is located on the southeastern coast of Ireland, in the province of Munster. Its area is about 710 square miles (1838 sq km) and is the 21st largest county in Ireland. The county was named for Waterford City whose name comes from the Old Norse name of Vadrarfjord, which is said to mean Windy Fiord. It is also referred to as “The Déise” or Decie. The Déise is the name of a major tribe that migrated southward from Meath and settled in what is now County Waterford. Waterford City, however, was settled by the Danes in the ninth century and became one of their raiding settlements.
The Normans invaded Waterford in the twelfth century and Waterford City became their stronghold, second only to Dublin in importance. Part of the county was confiscated from its owners and given to English settlers in 1583 after the insurrection of the Earl of Desmond. King John granted the territory a charter in 1206. Due to a war with Hugh O’Neill many English settlers left in 1598. Waterford was part of the insurrection of the Catholic confederacy which fought Cromwell’s army in 1641 and lost. This led another small settlement in 1650.
The population was 261,865 in 1821 and grew to 312,956 in 1841. Its population decreased to 312,956 in 1851; an 18% decrease primarily due to the potato famine. The population continued to decrease until it was only 127,586 in 1926. In 2006, the population was 107,961 in 2006. The predominant religion in the county is Roman Catholic. In 1861, 93.8% of the population were Roman Catholic followed by the Church of Ireland at 5.4% with 0.3% each being Presbyterian and Methodists. Overtime there has been a slight increase in the percentage of Roman Catholic to 96.9% in 1926. In 1926, the Church of Ireland decreased to 2.6% with 0.16% and 0.121% being Presbyterian and Methodist, respectively.
General Information about this county
- The county of Waterford is a maritime county of the province of Munster, and is bounded by Cork, Tipperary, Kilkenny, and Wexford.
- The county comprises the whole of the diocese of Waterford and the greater part of Lismore in the province of Cashel. It is divided into the baronies of Coshbride and Coshmore, Decies-without-Drum, Decies-within-Drum, Gaultier, Glenahiery, Middlethird, and Upperthird. The county contains the borough, market, and seaport town of Dungarvan; the seaport, market, and post-town of Dunmore; the seaport and market-town of Tramore; and the seaport town of Passage East. It also has the market and post-towns of Lismore and Tallow, as well as the post-towns of Cappoquin, Clashmore, Portlaw, and Kilmacthomas. There is also the maritime village of Bonmahon.
- Two-thirds of the county is agricultural with wheat, barley, bere, oats, and potatoes the main crops.
- Carrick-on-Suir was once the centre of extensive woollens manufacturing.
[Information provided by the 1847 edition of Samuel Lewis' 'Topographical Dictionary of Ireland]
General County Research Information
- Further information about County Waterford is available at the GenUKI site.
Archives and Libraries
Waterford County Council Library Service,
Dungarvan Central Library,
Davitts Quay, Dungarvan, County Wexford, Ireland.
Telephone: (+353) 58 41231
Civil Jurisdictions and Parish Research Information
A map of the Civil Parishes of County Waterford is available at Irish Times site.
A map of the Catholic Parishes of County Waterford is available at Irish Times site.
|Barony||Poor Law Union||Catholic Parish||Catholic Diocese|
|Affane||Decies within Drum||Dungarvan||Modeligo||Lismore|
|Affane||Decies without Drum||Dungarvan|
|Affane||Decies without Drum||Lismore|
|Aglish||Decies within Drum||Dungarvan||Aglish||Lismore|
|Aglish||Decies without Drum||Dungarvan|
|Ardmore||Decies within Drum||Dungarvan||Ardmore; part Aglish||Lismore|
|Ardmore||Decies within Drum||Youghal|
|Ardmore||Decies without Drum||Dungarvan|
|Ardmore||Decies without Drum||Youghal|
|Ballylaneen||Decies without Drum||Kilmacthomas||Stradbally||Lismore|
|Ballymacart||Decies within Drum||Dungarvan|| Ardmore; part Aglish
|Ballymacart||Decies within Drum||Youghal|
|Clashmore||Decies within Drum||Youghal|| Clashmore
|Clashmore||Decies without Drum||Youghal|
|Clonagam||Upperthird||Carrick on Suir||Portlaw||Lismore|
|Clonea||Decies without Drum||Dungarvan||Kilgobinet||Lismore|
|Colligan||Decies without Drum||Dungarvan||Kilgobnet||Lismore|
|Crooke||Gaultiere||Waterford||Killea and Crooke||Waterford|
|Dungarvan||Decies within Drum||Dungarvan||Dungarven; Abbeyside||Lismore|
|Dungarvan||Decies without Drum||Dungarvan|
|Dunhill||Middlethird||Kilmacthomas||Dunhill and Fenor||Lismore|
|Dysert||Upperthird||Carrick on Suir||Carrickbeg||Lismore|
|Faithlegg||Gaultiere||Waterford||Killea and Crooke||Waterford|
|Fenoagh||Upperthird||Carrick on Suir||Carrickbeg||Lismore|
|Fews||Decies without Drum||Kilmacthomas||Kilrosanty||Lismore|
|Guilcagh||Upperthird||Carrick on Suir||Portlaw||Lismore|
|Islandikane||Middlethird||Kilmacthomas||Dunhill and Fenor||Lismore|
|Kilbarrymeaden||Decies without Drum||Kilmacthomas||Kill||Lismore|
|Kilbride||Middlethird||Waterford||Dunhill and Fenor||Lismore|
|Kilcockan||Coshmore & Coshbride||Lismore||Knockanore||Lismore|
|Kilcockan||Coshmore and Coshbride||Lismore|
|Kilcop||Gaultiere||Waterford||Killea and Crooke||Waterford|
|Kilculliheen||Gaultiere and Muni. Borough||Waterford|
|Kilgobnet||Decies without Drum||Dungarvan||Kilgobinet||Lismore|
|Kill St. Lawrence||Gaultiere||Waterford||Trinity Within||Waterford|
|Kill St. Nicholas||Gaultiere||Waterford||Killea and Crooke||Waterford|
|Killea||Gaultiere||Waterford||Killea and Crooke||Waterford|
|Kilmacleague||Gaultiere||Waterford||Killea and Crooke||Waterford|
|Kilmacomb||Gaultiere||Waterford||Killea and Crooke||Waterford|
|Kilmeadan||Upperthird||Carrick on Suir|
|Kilmolash||Decies within Drum||Dungarvan||part Cappoquin; part Aglish||Lismore|
|Kilmolash||Decies without Drum||Dungarvan|
|Kilmolash||Decies without Drum||Lismore|
|Kilmoleran||Upperthird||Carrick on Suir||Carrickbeg||Lismore|
|Kilrossanty||Decies without Drum||Kilmacthomas||Kilrosannty||Lismore|
|Kilrush||Decies without Drum||Dungarvan||Dungarvon and Abbeyside||Lismore|
|Kilsheelan||Upperthird||Carrick on Suir||Kilsheelan||Lismore|
|Kilwatermoy||Coshmore & Coshbride||Lismore||Knockanore||Lismore|
|Kilwatermoy||Coshmore and Coshbride||Lismore|
|Kinsalebeg||Decies within Drum||Youghal||Clashmore||Lismore|
|Kinsalebeg||Decies without Drum||Youghal|
|Leitrim||Coshmore & Coshbride||Lismore||Kilworth||Cloyne|
|Leitrim||Coshmore and Coshbride||Lismore|
|Lickoran||Decies without Drum||Lismore||Modelligo||Lismore|
|Lisgenan or Grange||Decies within Drum||Youghal||Ardmore; part Aglish||Lismore|
|Lismore & Mocollop||Coshmore & Coshbride||Lismore||Lismore||Lismore|
|Lismore & Mocollop||Coshmore and Coshbride||Lismore|
|Modelligo||Decies without Drum||Dungarvan||Modelligo||Lismore|
|Modelligo||Decies without Drum||Lismore|
|Monksland||Decies without Drum||Kilmacthomas||Clonmel||Lismore|
|Mothel||Upperthird||Carrick on Suir||Clonea||Lismore|
|Newcastle||Decies without Drum||Kilmacthomas||Newcastle||Lismore|
|Rathgormuck||Upperthird||Carrick on Suir||Clonea||Lismore|
|Rathmoylan||Gaultiere||Waterford||Killea and Crooke||Waterford|
|Reisk||Middlethird||Kilmacthomas||Dunhill and Fenor||Lismore|
|Ringagonagh||Decies within Drum||Dungarvan||Ring and Old Parish||Lismore|
|Rossduff||Gaultiere||Waterford||Killea and Crooke||Waterford|
|Rossmire||Decies without Drum||Kilmacthomas||Stradbally||Lismore|
|Seskinan||Decies without Drum||Dungarvan||Touraneena||Lismore|
|Seskinan||Decies without Drum||Lismore|
|St. John's Within||Gaultiere||Waterford||St. John's||Waterford|
|St. John's Within||Waterford City||Waterford|
|St. John's Without||Gaultiere||Waterford||St. John's||Waterford|
|St. John's Without||Gaultiere and Muni. Borough||Waterford|
|St. John's Without||Waterford City||Waterford|
|St. Mary's, Clonmel||Upperthird||Clonmel||Clonmel, St. Mary's||Lismore|
|St. Mary's, Clonmel||Upperthird and Muni. Borough||Clonmel|
|St. Michael's||Waterford City||Waterford||part St. John's Within; part Trinity Within||Waterford|
|St. Olave's||Waterford City||Waterford||Trinity Within||Waterford|
|St. Patrick's||Waterford City||Waterford||St. Patrick's||Waterford|
|St. Peter's||Waterford City||Waterford||Trinity Within||Waterford|
|St. Stephen's Within||Waterford City||Waterford||part of St. John's||Waterford|
|St. Stephen's Without||Waterford City||Waterford||St. John's||Waterford|
|Stradbally||Decies without Drum||Kilmacthomas||Stradbally||Lismore|
|Tallow||Coshmore & Coshbride||Lismore||Tallow||Lismore|
|Tallow||Coshmore and Coshbride||Lismore|
|Templemichael||Coshmore & Coshbride||Youghal||Knockanore||Lismore|
|Templemichael||Coshmore and Coshbride||Youghal|
|Trinity Within||Waterford City||Waterford||Trinty Within||Waterford|
|Trinity Without||Middlethird||Waterford||Trinity Without||Waterford|
|Trinity Without||Middlethird and Muni. Borough||Waterford|
|Trinity Without||Waterford City||Waterford|
|Trinity Without||Waterford, Muni. Borough of||Waterford|
|Waterford City||Waterford City||Waterford|
|Whitechurch||Decies within Drum||Dungarvan||Aglish||Lismore|
|Whitechurch||Decies without Drum||Dungarvan|
|Whitechurch||Decies without Drum||Lismore|
- De Breffny, Brian. The Family of Odell or O'Dell. Article covers Genealogy of Odell Family, including pictures of thomas Bernard O'Dell with daughter Florence Barbara b. 1885, Thomas 1822-1891, Charles O'Dell 1864-1935. History includes who went to India, U.S.A. West Indies and Canada. The Waterford Branch covers years 1659-1904. Also covers areas of Odell of Ballyhahill & Odellville, Ogonelloe, Co. Clare, C'Dell of Moyanna, Co. Leix, O'Dell of Listowe, Co. Kerry, O'Dell of Mahoonagh & Mondellihy, Co. Limerick. Article found in the Irish Ancestor vo.1.no2,1969. pages 114-144 held at Family History Library Ref. 941.5 B2i
- Tuke, David R. M. The Family of Tuke. Pictures and genealogy of Tuke, living in Bere, Kent with branches to Essex, Leinster, Navan, Co. Meath. Ballintemple and Newbridge Co. Wicklow, Drakestown Co. Meath, Bristol England, Waterford, Ceylon, Cameroons and Kenya. covering years 1390-1967, Article in The Irish Ancestor, vol. VI, no. 2, 1974 pages 67-72, Family History Library Ref. 941.5B2i v5-6.
- 1885 County Map: Courtesy of London Ancestor
- Abstracts of Wills. Article is a collection of Will Abstracts gathered from many sources, and includes Samuel GORDON of Spring Garden. 26 Aug. 1755, proved in the Prerogative Court, 23 July 1757. Article found in The Irish Ancestor, vol.II, no.2, 1970 pages 117-127, Family History Library 941.5 B2i.
- Also List of heirs for Pierse Barron of Fahagh, Co. Waterford, dated 13 Oct 1808. proved Prerog. 28 April 1812, in The Irish Ancestor, vol. VI. no.1. 1974, pages58-61, Family History Library Ref. 941.5 B2i vol.v5-6
- To view a list of Waterford web sites, visit FHLFavorites.info or click on the following for some great sites.
- GENUKI - Genuki
- Waterford Genealogy - Irish Family History Foundation
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ryan, James G. Irish Records: sources for family and local history. USA: Ancestry.com, 1997. FHL 941.5 D23r
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on two US state pages by clicking on the purple button belowClick Here