Court of HustingEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit The Guildhall Library, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes (see the Family History Library's cataloged entries providing the microfilms so you can have them circulated to the center near you for searching the wills). The information obtained from the index[es] will help you more quickly search the wills and admons which can also be circulated on microfilm via any family history .
The Court of Husting wills have been indexed according to the following:
A comprehensive will index for this probate court covers the gamut or range of years in which this court functioned. They are found at the following two websites at no cost:
Printed and Published Indexes
Available at the Coporation of London Records Office, Guildhall, are printed indices to these court records, "Calendar of Wills Proved and Enrolled in the Court of Husting, London".
- A comprehensive will and admon index to most of London's (including Greater L.) probate courts for the years covering 1750-1858, and surnames A-F, is Dr David Wright's London Probate Index for sale on CD. He will provide search services in his indexes for you for surnames covering G-Z at a set fee.
Original Handwritten Indexes:
Probate indexes exist and are held at the Coroporation of London Record Office, London. Also, they are available on microfilm at The Family History Library.
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library:
Indexes and calendars to the Calendar of wills proved and enrolled in the Court of Husting, London, 1258-1688are available on microfilm at the Family History Library covering the years 1258-1688 and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers. See Calendar of wills proved and enrolled in the Court of Husting, London, 1258-1688 .
Corporation of London Record Office
London EC2P 2EJ
Tel: 0171 332 1863
Fax: 0171 600 3384
Opening Times: Mon-Sat. 9:30am-4:45pm
Website: For help in the original records of this court contact the Guildhall Library.
Enrolled Wills 1258-1688 (Indexed)
Family History Library Records
Rolls Wills - 1258-1688
Probate records of the Court of Husting are among the earliest for the metropolis commencing from as early as 1258-1688. This court held jurisdiction for the City (of London) parishes and liberties (Inns of courts of the city).
Wills of this court mostly ceased being probated by the late 15th century.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More