Craig County, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Craig County Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, immigration records, and military records.
|Craig County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
|County Seat||New Castle|
Craig County Virginia Courthouse
Craig County Courthouse
P.O. Box 185
303 Main Street
New Castle, VA 24127-0185
Clerk Circuit Court has birth records 1864-1896,
marriage, divorce, probate and court and land records from 1851
Craig County Virginia History
- Lost census: 1890
Craig County Virginia Genealogy Places/Localities
Craig County Virginia Genealogy Resources
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Craig County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 8, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1964):26-27. FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
- Freedmen's Bureau Letters or Correspondence, 1865-1872
For a detailed list, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Craig County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Craig County:
- Tombstone Transcription Project Craig County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
For tips on accessing Craig County, Virginia census records online, see: Virginia Census.
- Burton, Charles T. Botetourt County, Va., 1785 Enumeration. Troutville, Va.: Burton?, 1972. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($). [All of part of present-day county of Craig is included.]
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
Land and Property
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Craig County, p. 68.61]
Regiments. Service men in Craig County, Virginia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Craig County, Virginia:
- - 28th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company B (Craig Rifles) and Company D (Craig Mountain Boys).
- - 54th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company K (The Roanoke Guards).
Records and histories are available, including:
- Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865
- Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers 1861-1865
- Virginia Naturalization Petitions, 1906-1929.
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Craig County, Virginia newspapers.
Indexes to Craig County, Virginia births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- 1853-1896 - Fridley, Beth. Craig County, Virginia Births, 1853-96 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 1999. Available at Ancestry ($).
- 1864-1896 - Craig County Birth Index 1864-1896. Batch C868743 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1740-1850 - Virginia Marriages 1740-1850 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1865-1937 - Craig County Marriage Index 1865-1937. Batch M868743 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1853-1896 - Fridley, Beth, comp. Craig County, Virginia Deaths, 1853-96 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2001. Available at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Craig County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Craig County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- Craig Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
Craig County Virginia Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Craig County, Virginia. Page 712 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ USGS Map, Topozone.com
- ↑ Frank E. Fields, 28th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1985). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 15.
- ↑ George L. Sherwood and Jeffrey C. Weaver, 54th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1993). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 91.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page