Delaware Church RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A transcription of the registers and minutes of nearly 100 church records from the 1680s to the 1930s was made by the Delaware Historical Records Survey. These are at the Delaware Public Archives and are on microfilm at the Family History Library.
An old list of church addresses and ministers is:
- Directory of Churches and Religious Organizations in Delaware. Dover, Delaware: Historical Records Survey, 1942. FHL Collection; digital version at Ancestry ($). To find the nearest library that has this book, use WorldCat.
- Raymond B. Clark's, Delaware Church Records, contains baptisms, marriages, deaths, and tombstone inscriptions from several churches including Baptist, Episcopal, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Quaker churches for the period 1686-1880. A copy of the book can be found in the FHL Collection. Publisher's bookstore. For a copy nearest you, check WorldCat.
- Frederick Lewis Weis's The Colonial Clergy of Maryland, Delaware, and Georgia, is an alphabetical listing of the clergy in Delaware from 1638-1776, and includes names, dates, and places. A copy of the book is located in the FHL Collection. For a copy nearest you, check WorldCat.
Many denominations have collected their records into central repositories. The following are addresses of regional archives:
Allen B. Clark's, This Is Good Country: A History of the Amish of Delaware, 1915-1988, has information about the European beginnings of the Mennonite and Amish groups, their migration, and settlement in Delaware. It also includes traditions, names and dates. A copy of the book can be found in the FHL Collection. To locate the copy nearest you, try WorldCat.
American Baptist Historical Society
3001 Mercer University Dr.
Atlanta, GA 30341
Phone: (678) 547-6680
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons)
Early church records, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for Delaware Wards and Branches can be found on film and are located at the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The film numbers, for each ward, can be locate through the Family History Library Catalog . Or by refering to Jaussi, Laureen R., and Gloria D. Chaston. Register of Genealogical Society Call Numbers. 2 vols. Provo, Utah: Genealogy Tree, 1982. (FHL book 979.2258 A3j; fiche 6031507). These volumes contain the film numbers for many (but not all) membership and temple record films.
Horace Burr's, The Records of Holy Trinity (Old Swedes) Church, Wilmington, Delaware, from 1697-1773, contains English translations and abstracts from the original church records. It also includes traditions, names, and dates. A copy can be found in the FHL Collection. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archives. To find the nearest library that has this book use WorldCat.
United Methodist Archives Center
36 Madison Ave.
Madison, NJ 07940-4007
Telephone: (973) 408-3125
Fax: (973) 408-3770
The Presbyterian Historical Society
425 Lombard Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147-1516
Telephone: (215) 627-1852
Fax: (215) 627-0509
Diocese of Wilmington Archives
P.O. Box 2030
Greenville, DE 19899
Telephone: (302) 655-0597
The Diocese of Wilmington consists of the Delaware counties of Kent, New Castle and Sussex. The diocese also covers the following counties in Maryland: Caroline, Cecil, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico and Worcester.
Society of Friends (Quaker)
Wiki articles describing these collections are found at:
- Delaware Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Delaware Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Delaware Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- ↑ Sydney E. Ahlstrom, A Religious History of the American People (New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1972). FHL Book 973 K2ah.
- ↑ Map of the Roman Catholic Dioceses in the United States of America, Office of Catholic Schools Diocese of Columbus, accessed 3 Nov 2010.