Eaton County, MichiganEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Michigan-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Eaton County Courthouse
1045 Independence Blvd.
Charlotte, MI 48813
Phone: (517) 543-7500
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1867,
marriage records from 1838, divorce and court records
from 1847 and some naturalization records.
Probate Court has probate records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
A brief history of Eaton County is available at the county's web site.
1829--Eaton County was created 29 October 1829 from unorganized territory. It was attached to St. Joseph and Kalamazoo Counties prior to organization 29 December 1837. County seat: Charlotte 
- Cities: Charlotte . Eaton Rapids . Grand Ledge . Lansing. Olivet . Potterville
- Villages: Bellevue . Dimondale . Mulliken . Sunfield . Vermontville
- Townships: Bellevue . Benton . Brookfield . Carmel . Cheste r. Delta Charter . Eaton Rapids . Eaton . Hamlin . Kalamo . Oneida Charter . Roxand . Sunfield . Vermontville . Walton . Windsor Charter
- Communities: Ainger . Bismark . Brookfield . Carlisle . Charlesworth . Chester . Delta Center . Delta Mills . Five Points Corner . Gresham . Hoytville . Kalamo . Kelly . Kingsland . Little Venice . Millett . Needmore . Olivet Station . Oneida Center . Packard . Petreville . Sahytown . Stalls Corner . Waverly . West Windsor . Woodbury
The Eaton County Clerk's Office has provided information about how to obtain genealogical records for their county on their portion of the county web site.
Civil War service men from Eaton County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Eaton County.
- Birth Records Table Alcona County Genealogical SocietyFree membership with registration.
- Marriage Records Table Alcona County Genealogical SocietyFree membership with registration.
- Death Records Table Alcona County Genealogical SocietyFree membership with registration.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Eaton County MIGenWeb Project, an member of The MIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Eaton County, Michigan page 345, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More