Edgecombe County, North CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Edgecombe County North Carolina genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Edgecombe County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Edgecombe County Courthouse
301 Saint Andrews Street
P O Box 386
Tarboro, NC 27886
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage and land records
Clerk Superior Court has probate and Court Records
Edgecombe County was formed in 1741 from Bertie County. It was named for Richard Edgcombe, a Member of Parliament from 1701 to 1742 and a lord of the treasury, who became 1st Baron Edgcumbe in 1742.
In 1746 part of Edgecombe County became Granville County; in 1758 another portion became Halifax County; and in 1777 yet another part became Nash County. In 1855 the formation of Wilson County from parts of Edgecombe County, Johnston County, Nash County, and Wayne County reduced Edgecombe to its present size, with a minor boundary adjustments.
Land records prior to 1759 are among those of Halifax County.
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Cemetery information on Edgecombe County, NCGenWeb
- Cemetery information on Edgecombe County, NCGenWeb Archives
- Edgecombe County cemeteries - Find-A-Grave
- Calvary Episcopal Cemetery - in Tarboro;site contains interactive burial plot map
For tips on accessing Edgecombe County, North Carolina census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Swift Creek. Established by 1773.
- Tar River Falls. Church built 1764. Edwards published a list of early members in Materials Towards a History of the Baptists... (1772), 131.
- Toisnot. Founded 1756. Edwards published a membership list dated 1758 in Materials Towards a History of the Baptists... (1772), 138. Now located in Wilson County.
- Town Creek. Constituted 1780.
- Winstead's Meeting House. Constituted 1802.
Church of England
- Edgecombe Parish, later St. Mary's Parish. Established 1741.  A history was published in 1955.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Rocky Mount
See also Probate.
- [Boddie] Leary, Helen F.M. "The Two William Boddies of North Carolina," The American Genealogist, Vol. 66, No. 1 (Jan. 1991):16-29; Vol. 62, No. 2 (Apr. 1991):106-110; Vol. 66, No. 3 (Jul. 1991):148-153. Available at FHL.
- Pamphlet: To the citizens and soldiers of Edgecomb County : I respectfully announce myself a candidate for the office of Sheriff of Edgecomb county (1864) by J.B Jenkins - full-text online via the Internet Archive
- The History of Edgecombe County - online book at Eastern North Carolina Library
- North Carolina Map-1779 - includes early Edgecombe Co.
- North Carolina County Formations - clickable map for 1700 - 1912
- Edgecombe County-1905
- Edgecombe County Maps- from the UNC Digital Maps Collections
- 1895 Edgecombe County - from Pam Rietsch's fantastic 1895 US Atlas Project
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Edgecombe County, North Carolina Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1758-1959 - Will Books 1 to 10 and A to Q (1758-1959) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1929 - Edgecombe County Marriage Index 1851-1929 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Wesleyan College Yearbooks: 1962-2009 - freely available via the NC Digitization Center
- Edgecombe County students at North Carolina colleges - a list alphabetized by surname from the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index.
Societies and Libraries
The following public libraries in Edgecombe County have collections of particular interest to genealogists.
- Braswell Memorial Library
727 North Grace Street
Rocky Mount, North Carolina 27804
The Kornegay Room offers a local history and genealogy collection which includes maps, local records, newspapers, city directories, photographs, and more.
Family History Centers
- -county/ Edgecombe County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Edgecombe County, NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Edgecombe County, USGenWeb Archives
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Edgecombe County, North Carolina. Page 508 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:237, 475, 490-491. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- ↑ "Toisnot Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com/, accessed 22 October 2012.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 (1808), Chapter 16. Digital version at St Paul's Seminary website.
- ↑ Robert J. Cain, ed., The Church of England in North Carolina: Documents, 1699-1741 (Raleigh, N.C.: Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, 1999), 501. FHL Book 975.6 K2cr; Stuart Hall Smith, The History of Trinity Parish, Scotland Neck [and] Edgecombe Parish, Halifax County (Durham, N.C.: Christian Printing Company, 1955), 7. Digital version at Eastern North Carolina Digital Library - free.
- ↑ Stuart Hall Smith and Claiborne T. Smith, Jr., The History of Trinity Parish and Edgecombe Parish (1955).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/4/4d/Iginorthcarolinaa.pdf.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki