FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 7 February 2013Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
MeetingPlace ID: 7770; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: 877-453-7266 1 p.m. Mountain time on Thursdays
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
- Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.
Introduce new members
Kudos go to ...
Updates and follow up
Community Council Report
Surnmame pages discussion. Found Chinese Surnames page on Wikipedia. Will have links to various pages ABOUT surnames, and not genealogical information other than what is necessary to trace origins or meanings.
New Agenda Items
Heads-up: Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Experiment (David Dilts). SEO is a way of designing Wiki pages to make them rank high on Google search result lists. We propose to test SEO techniques on five Wiki pages. If it significantly improves traffic to those pages after several months we can make similar changes to all Wiki pages that have reasonably good content. Proposed changes:
- Modify page titles, for example, Plymouth, Massachusetts would become Plymouth Massachusetts genealogy
- Add introductory lines or paragraph (154 characters) with carefully chosen key search terms of interest to genealogists varied from page to page according to content.
- Modify section headings to repeat key phrases, bold key phrases in text, for example, the heading Vital Records would become Plymouth Massachusetts Vital Records
- Link to Wiki pages from social media like Facebook and Google+.
- Proposed pages for the SEO experiment:
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts
- Plymouth, Massachusetts
- Boston, Massachusetts
- New York City, New York
- Georgetown County, South Carolina
WARNING!: This may eventually cause us to change most Wiki page titles and content to attract a larger audience.