FamilySearch Wiki:Help wanted on the WikiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Volunteers - Help Us Build a Barn
A barn raising is accomplished by volunteers with all levels of expertise -- beginners to professional craftsmen.
Like a physical barn raising, a wiki barn raising needs volunteer help from people from all walks of life.
Help us add information to existing articles, add sources, link to other online resources, correct grammar and spelling mistakes, and combine duplicate articles.
Whatever your expertise level, there's a place for you the wiki barn raising team.
To get started, we need to know a little about you, your interests and genealogy or research experience. Please fill out the Volunteer form and we will contact you. Work on state articles will typically be under the direction of the moderator for that state. We will arrange your introduction to them.
In the meantime, create a FamilySearch account if you don't have one. Set your account preferences and create your user page.
- Create a FamilySearch Account
- Set your preferences
- Create your wiki user page | Example One | Example Two | Example Three
- Add the Volunteer Userbox to your user page
Projects Needing Help
Help Wanted - United States
Want to help on a specific U.S. State? Click on a state on the map below to go to its Help Wanted Article. State Moderators a variety tasks needing your assistance.
Help Wanted - Worldwide
Coming Soon! - A World Map linked to Country Help Wanted Articles.
Additional Help Needed On The Wiki
In addtion to State and Country Projects, the items below involve work that a volunteer can do with minimal training:
- Add information to your county and/or city pages.
- Prepare county histories - county section of each state.
- Repositories - what's in a repository of genealogical interest ... U.S. Canada.
- Outside company providing content ... we are putting in the wiki for formatting.
- Write about Migration Trails - Which Counties and Towns they went through in both the U.S. & Canada.
- Write articles for links that are in red.
- Write articles of little known research methods for various parts of the world.
- Need Moderators to run projects for places around the world
- Join our support team.
- Wiki Projects seeking contributors
- Wiki Cleanup Projects
- Add Categories to articles
In addition to these projects, additional projects that volunteers can easily do are listed below:
- Add links to the David Rumsey Map Collection for the state or county in question. For an example, see the Pennsylvania.
- Add each state or county's creation date and parent states/counties. This information can be found using the Place Search in the Family History Library Catalog.
- Add links to digitized state and county histories. A large collection of such histories is Brigham Young University's Family History Archives. A shortcut to searching it for local histories is on the BYU-FHL Digital Books Collection page.
- The Research Wiki is also available in ten other languages. You can help by translating pages into one of the other languages.
"How To" Reference Articles
Other Beginning Contributor Opportunities
- Find pages that could use some TLC, such as Stubs, or Short Pages. There might be a section in these articles that you could enhance by adding content, or even just spell-checking.
- Are you interested in a specific area? Could you add research tips to pages in that area that are in a specific section of the article, such as cemeteries?
- Another possibility would be to watch genealogy blogs for press or news releases that could be added to the Wiki, if they're not time sensitive.
- Could you check for broken links or add categories to pages?
US County pages
Is there something specific that is missing from several of them?
- Suppose several County pages are missing information about local libraries. Could you use an internet site, such as PublicLibraries.com to locate the libraries for each county and add the link to the page?
- Add links to the Family History Center pages, if they're missing.
- How about looking for county histories on Googlebooks or Internet Archives and then adding them to the County pages?
- There are several on-going projects in the Wiki. There will be information for areas where help is needed. Many of the tasks would be good for a beginner.
- Help is available as you determine a task that you would like to do:
Learn more about ...
Projects Seeking Contributors
Maintaining the Help Content Committee
Maintenance and Patrolling Committee
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki