FamilySearch Catalog Film/Fiche Number SearchEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Introduction to the Family History Library Catalog > Film/Fiche Search
| The factual accuracy of this article or section may be compromised due to out-of-date information.
You can improve the article by updating it.
Please add any comments to the talk page.
Do a Film/Fiche Search when you know the microfilm or microfiche number and want to see a description of its contents.
A Film/Fiche Search is an exact search. Do not truncate (shorten) the number or use a wild card character in the search.
Steps to Search by Film/Fiche Number
- Go to https://familysearch.org and click Catalog under the large title Discover Your Family History.
- Under the Place Name search box, click Film Numbers.
- Type a number.
- Click Search.
- Click a title to see more information about the collection.
- Scroll down to the Film Notes section to see the specific information included on the microfilm reel.
How Do I Understand the Results of a Film/Fiche Search?
The following information can be found when doing a Film Number search.
- The title and author of the collection. Some collections are contained within many reels of microfilm and some are complete in one reel or one microfiche collection.
- The format of the collection. This help you see what to expect. If it is a manuscript, you might have handwriting issues to deal with. It a typed transcription, you need to be alert to possible transcription errors, etc.
- The language of the records. German records will most likely be in German, for instance. But sometimes Church records in a country will be in Latin, regardless of the native language of the country.
- Publication information for the original record.
- A physical description of the record. This will tell you how many microfilm reels or microfiche are in the entire collection.
- Notes describing the content of the collection. The notes field will also alert you to restrictions on the circulation of the collection and will let you know if there is an index.
- Subjects in the catalog where this collection can be found.
- Film Notes listing each microfilm or microfiche in the collection with the film or fiche number and a description of the contents of each. The film or fiche number is a link taking you to the online film ordering website if you desire to order the item to view in a nearby family history center or affiliate public library.
- About this record give general information about the catalog entry and ordering films or fiche.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News