Fayette County, Tennessee Compiled GenealogiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Fayette County, Tennessee family before?
Message boards and online family trees can help you learn if someone is actively researching your ancestors. More than a dozen books or articles have been published about Fayette County's families. Descendants of some historic residents have had their DNA tested.
- Main article: Fayette County, Tennessee
- Matthews, Paul A. Early Families of the Memphis Area: Profiles of 135 Families of Fayette, Shelby and Tipton Counties in Tennessee, Crittenden County, Arkansas and DeSoto and Marshall Counties in Mississippi: With Historical Time Lines and Photographs of Those Counties. Memphis, Tenn.: Descendants of Early Settlers of Shelby and Adjoining Counties, 2008. FHL Book 976 D2m.
- [Brown] Descendant of Robert Brown, b. 1790s, d. 1833 Fayette County, Tennessee. Y-DNA 67 Marker Test, FTDNA (Kit 15512). Genetic signature available online (labeled Group No. 29), genealogical description available online, courtesy: Brown/Browne/Braun DNA Study. Matches have been found.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Alexander] Irwin, Frank Lewis. The Irwins and Their Kinfolk the Alexanders and Crawfords Who were Early Settlers (1837) in Fayette County, Tennessee. MSS., Fayette County Library.
- [Allen] Moore, Elizabeth Allen. The Allens of Fayette County, Tennessee and Related Families. 1980.
- [Burrows] Burrows, George H. Burrows. Memphis, Tenn.: G.H. Burrows, [1996?]. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 B946bg.
- [Crawford] Irwin, Frank Lewis. The Irwins and Their Kinfolk the Alexanders and Crawfords Who were Early Settlers (1837) in Fayette County, Tennessee. MSS., Fayette County Library.
- [Irwin] Irwin, Frank Lewis. The Irwins and Their Kinfolk the Alexanders and Crawfords Who were Early Settlers (1837) in Fayette County, Tennessee. MSS., Fayette County Library.
- [Ivy] Hamilton, Hance H. The Genealogy of the Ivy/Ivey Family of Hickory With, Tennessee. 1998.
- [Jones] Shaw, Dan. Mange and Jennie Jordan Jones: The Saga of a Fayette County Couple. 1995.
- [McCraw] McCraw, Carol J., Joy Rushing, and Joyce AuBuchon. It is McCraw Not McGraw. Bountiful, Utah: Family History Publishers, Inc., 1998.
- [Reeve] See Rives.
- [Rives, Rivers] Morris, Whitmore. The Descendants of William Christopher Rives and Mary Rivers. San Antonio, TX: Unknown, 1934. Available at FHL US/CAN Film 873458; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Rogers] Rogers, Robert W. Rogers Genealogy with Ancestry of Rogers Families at Belmont; District 4, Fayette County, Mason, Tennessee. 1982. Available at Fayette County Library.
- [Thurman] Thurman, John P. John P. and Sallie Ecklin Thurman Papers1884-1896. Southern Historical Collection, Manuscripts Department, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Free digital copy.
- [Wharton] Wharton, Richard. Richard Wharton papers, 1863 - 1906. Book contributor: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. A diary, letters and other writings including his service in the Confederate Army , letters relating to family matters, a genealogy of the Wharton family, poems and speeches. Free digital copy, courtesy: Internet Archive.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News