Franklin County, IndianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Franklin County Courthouse
634 Main Street
Brookville, IN 47012-1405
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate and court records from 1811.
County Recorder has land records from 1811.
County Health Department has birth and death records from 1882.
Public Library has cemetery records from from 1817
and naturalization records from 1820. 
For tips on accessing Franklin County, Indiana census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Franklin County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Members of Big Cedar Grove Baptist Church, Franklin County, Indiana (1817-1835) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Directory of Businesses in Franklin County, Indiana (1858, 1868) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Every Name Index to History of Franklin County, Indiana. Every Name Index compiled by Cathy L. O'Connor, 2007; original text by August Jacob Reifel, 1915; reproduction by Unigraphic, Inc., 1971. EveryNameIndex.com
- History of Franklin County - Linkpendium
- Biographical and Genealogical History of Wayne, Fayette, Union and Franklin Counties, Indiana. (Indianapolis, Ind: Frederic Luther Co, 1980).977.26 H2b 977.26 H2b v. 2 FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries vol. 1 INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Reifel, August J. History of Franklin County, Indiana; Her People, Industries and Institutions. (Indianapolis, Ind: B.F. Bowen, 1915.) FHL US/CAN Film 934904 Item 3 FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
Civil War service men from Franklin County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Franklin County
- 4th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company B
- 7th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company G
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C, and Reorganized Company A
- 18th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 37th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company B, and Reoganized B
- 52nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies F, anf H
- 68th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, C, G, H, and I
- 83rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 123rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, D, I, and K
- 134th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company H
- 139th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company B
- 146th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 148th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, and B
Civil War Books
- "Civil War" in "Military History of Franklin County" Chapter 12 of Reifel, August J. History of Franklin County, Indiana; Her People, Industries and Institutions. (Indianapolis, Ind: B.F. Bowen, 1915.), (page 292-315, Regiment, Companies, some Name's) FHL US/CAN Film 934904 Item 3 FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
Probate records are court records created after an individual’s death that relate to a court’s decisions regarding the distribution of the estate to the heirs or creditors and the care of any dependents. These documents are important to family history researchers because they usually exist for time periods before civil birth and death records were kept. While probate records are one of the most accurate sources of genealogical evidence, they have limitations.
The Circuit Court has responsibility for the probate records of Franklin County.
The following Franklin County probate records have been indexed and abstracted:
- Franklin County Inventories provides transcribed probate inventories indexed by date.
- The University of Mary Washington has indexed and transcribed probate inventories for Dearborn, Franklin, and Ripley counties.
- Franklin County Vital Record - INGenWeb
- - see - Vital Record - Linkpendium
- Franklin County Census Records - INGenWeb
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Death, E-Publication, Instiution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992 - FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959 - FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- EveryNameIndex.com Free online genealogy indexes for those big old county histories.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Franklin County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Franklin County, Indiana 212 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More