Fredericksburg Virginia Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Center Contacts and HoursLocation & Map:
20 Boscobel Road, Fredericksburg, Virginia (in southern Stafford County near the corner of Brooke & Ringgold Roads)
- This is not a mailing address. Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries. Feel free to call during the hours we are open if you have any questions, however.
- The entrance to the Family History Center is at the back of the building across from the satellite dishes. Please ring the doorbell.
- Location on Map
Phone: 540 361-7494 (Call during Family History Center hours)
- Tue-Wed: 10 am - 8:30 pm
- Thu: 10 am - 2 pm
- Fri-Sat: 10 am - 3 pm
- Closed on all Federal holidays
- Center may be closed when Spotsylvania or Stafford County schools are closed due to inclement weather. Please call to determine this.
~~ Family History Day - Forget Me Not ~~
Saturday, March 1, 2014
- 1710 Bragg Road, Fredericksburg, Virginia 22407
- Attendance is free.
- Doors will open at 8:30 am on March 1.
- Keynote speaker will start at 9 am.
- Classes will run from 10 am - noon & from 1 pm - 3 pm.
- Bring your lunch and spend all or part of the day with us.
- Lemonade, water & desert will be provided.
- Members of the community, age 12 and over, are welcome.
- Registration is recommended, at FredVAFamilyHistoryDay.com.
- See our Fredericksburg Family History Daypage on Facebook also.
Classes expected to be offered include
Selected RootsTech recordings
DNA in Genealogical Research
Ann Amadori - Fredericksburg Family History Center Director
Genealogy 101, Genealogy 102
Jean Cooper, Librarian / Genealogical Resources Specialist at UVA Library
Using the Census, Using Newspapers
Dr. Shelley Murphy, Averett University
Beginning African American Research
Greg Crawford, Local Records Program Manager, Library of Virginia
Pre-Civil War African American Genealogy, The Lost Records Project (keynote)
Katie Derby, Culpeper Family History Center Director
Beyond Beginnings: Intermediate Research, The Price is Right: Free Online Research
How to Transcribe and Record Grave Sites
Virginia Chancery Records
Renee Savits, Library of Virginia
Civil War 150 Legacy Project
Finding free records at FamilySearch.org
Using FamilySearch Family Tree
Keep watch at FredVaFamilyHIstoryDay.com for more information as plans develop.
- FamilySearch Catalog: Microfilm and microfiche may be ordered through the FamilySearch Catalog to be sent to this center.
- The Fredericksburg Virginia Family History Center has a collection of microfilm and microfiche on indefinite loan from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
- The Fredericksburg Virginia Family History Center owns about 200 books. The list can be viewed at LibraryThing.com.
Databases and Software
Hardware and Equipment
- Six computers for patron use
- One microfilm / microfiche scanner / copier
- One flatbed scanner
- Four microfilm readers
- One microfiche reader
Resources in the Local Area
- Fredericksburg Historic Court Records - "consists of extracts, transcripts and indices of records in repository in the Fredericksburg Circuit Court, Fredericksburg, VA. The information presented by Historic Court Records are primarily extracts of 'loole papers' - the paper trail behind Court Order Book entries... In addition to 'loose paper' records, Historic Court Records also contains a searchable database of early Fredericksburg Land Tax Records." Additional records include Apprenctice Records, Clerk's Order Books, Inquests, Marriage Records and others.
Localities: Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County, Stafford County, Westmoreland County, King George County, Caroline County
- Central Rappahannock Heritage Center - "The Central Rappahannock Heritage Center, Inc. is a non-governmental regional archives dedicated to preserving for research and posterity materials documenting the lives and work of the people."
Fredericksburg area resources online:
rootsweb.com/~vacfrede/fbgdb.htm - Census, Land & Tax Records, Marriage Records, Government & Miscellaneous Lists, Searchable Newspapers Indexes
rootsweb.com/~vacfrede/index2.htm - Miscellaneous information and links relating to Fredericksburg
For help using FamilySearch.org
Use the Get Help link in the top right corner of the page to access the Help Home page.
FamilySearch Wiki pages
- Fredericksburg (Independent City)
- King George County
- King George County Genealogy
- Spotsylvania County
- Spotsylvania County Genealogy
- Stafford County
- Stafford County Genealogy
- Westmoreland County
- Westmoreland County, Virginia Reserves (Confederate)
- Caroline County
- Caroline County Genealogy
- Caroline County Cemeteries
- Culpepper County
- Culpepper County Genealogy
- Virginia County Resources
- Virginia Court Records
Adding details to a FHC page article.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki