Garrard County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Garrard County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 17, 1796|
Lancaster, KY 40444
8-4 Mon., Tues., Thurs., Fri.
8-12 Wed., Sat.
- Lost census: 1890
|Buena Vista||Judson||Mount Hebron||Three Forks|
|Cartersville||Lancaster||New Union (hist.)||Toddville|
|Camp Nelson (hist.)||Lowell||Nina||White Oak|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- [Kentucky_Minorities|Kentucky Minorities]] has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Garrard Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Garrard County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Garrard County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Garrard County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Garrard County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
The 1890 U.S. Federal Census is lost; however, a substitute is available. See Taxation.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Forrest Calico studied many Garrard County families. His large collection of files, kept in Lancaster, Ky., were microfilmed in 1959: FHL Films 183258-183264.
- [Alford] James, Jessamine Bland. Family Records of Andrew Hunter of Louisa County, Virginia, and Jacob Alford of Garrard County, Kentucky, and Charles Alford of Garrard Co., Ky. Copied from Court Records, Bibles, and Tombstones. Typescript. Donated 1958. FHL Fiche 6018643
- [Alford] James, Jessamine Bland. Records of the Andrew Hunter Family of Louisa Co., Virginia, and Jacob Alford Family of Garrard County, Kentucky, and Charles Alford of Garrard County, Kentucky. Typescript, National Library, D.A.R. Microfilmed 1971. FHL Film 854151 Item 6
- [Bainbridge] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Bland] James, Jessamine Bland. Records of the Andrew Hunter Family of Louisa Co., Virginia, and Jacob Alford Family of Garrard County, Kentucky, and Charles Alford of Garrard County, Kentucky. Typescript, National Library, D.A.R. Microfilmed 1971. FHL Film 854151 Item 6
- [Bruce] Smith, Zachary F. and Mary Rogers Clay. The Clay Family. Louisville, Ky.: John P. Morton and Company, 1899. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Finley] Finley, Carmen J. and James D. Finley. Before David: An Addendum to David Finley (1754-1848) of Garrard, Kentucky and Orange County, Indiana. Santa Rosa, Calif.: C.J. Finley, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 F496fca
- [Finley] Finley, Carmen J. "John and Mary Finley of Montgomery (Wythe) County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 34, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1990):243-255; Vol. 35, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1991):18-33; Vol. 35, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1991):122-135; Vol. 35, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1991):173-185; Vol. 35, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1991):251-262. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 34 (1990)-v. 35 (1991).
- [Finley] Finley, Carmen J. "John Finley of Montgomery/Wythe County, Virginia: Additional Children Identified," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1995):3-22; Vol. 39, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1995):94-103; Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):202-212; Vol. 39, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1995):282-294. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 39 (1995).
- [Frye] Wylie, William Bird. Bird Genealogy. St. Louis, Mo.: W.B. Wylie, 1903. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online; FHL Book 929.273 B532w.
- [Henderson] Robinson, Peggy H. Alexander Hamilton of Garrard County, Kentucky, and His Descendants. Lexington, Ky.: P.H. Robinson, 1975. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 2623
- [Hill] Hill, L. Henry. Genealogy of the Hill Family of Garrard and Madison Counties, Kentucky. Evansville, Ind.: Unigraphic, 1978. FHL Book 929.273 H55d
- [Jennings] Loeber, Charles. Jennings Family, Garrard County, Kentucky: Address Delivered ... Consulting Engineer for the Jennings Family Record ... Richmond, Virginia, at a Meeting Held in Garrard County Court House, Lancaster, Kentucky, Monday, December 23rd, 1929 at 7 P.M. Lancaster, Ky.: Printed by the Central Record, 1929. FHL Film 1463955 Item 28.
- [Letcher] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [McIntosh] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Robertson] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Rogers] Irwin, Lyndon N. The Rogers Family of Paint Lick and Crab Orchard: Ancestry and Descendants Joseph and Ellen Steward Rogers of Garrard, Rockcastle, and Lincoln Counties in Kentucky. Bois D'Arc and Ozark, Mo.: L. Irwin, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 R632i
- [Sassin] Allen, Cameron. "Francois Sasin/Sassin of Manakin Town: The First Six Generations of the Sassin/Sasseen Family in America," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 37, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1993):3-17; Vol. 37, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1993):99-116; Vol. 37, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1993):193-205; Vol. 37, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1993):259-271. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 37 (1993).
- [Warner] Reynolds, Lyman Foster. Peter Warner Born Maryland - Fredrick County: Revolutionary War Soldier (with George Washington in Capture of Trenton) to Lincoln County Kentucky 1780's, Children Settled in Kentucky; Lincoln, Garrard, Boyle, Mercer & Washington Counties; Indiana Putnam County. Louisville, Ky.: L.F. Reynolds, 2007. FHL Book 929.273 W246r
- The KY Land Office
- The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Garrard County land records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
- Abstracts of Pension Papers Pertaining to Soldiers of the Revolutionary War, War of 1812 and Indian wars Who Resided in Garrard County, Kentucky. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1797, 1799 - Kurtz, Harold J. 1797 and 1799 Tax List of Garrard County, Kentucky. Lancaster, Ky.: Garrard County Historical Society, 1990. FHL Book 976.9525 R4k
- 1797-1802 - Kurtz, Harold J. 1797-1802 Taxpayers of Garrard County, Kentucky. Lancaster, Ky.: Garrard County Historical Society, 1990, 1997. FHL Book 976.9525 R48k
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Garrard County, Kentucky is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- 1890 - Kurtz, Harold J. 1890 Tax List of Garrard County, Kentucky. Richmond, Ky.: Garrard County Historical Society, 198-. FHL Book 976.9 A1 no. 347
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Garrard Co. KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Garrard County,Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Garrard County, Kentucky page 270, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).