Gasconade County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Gasconade County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Gasconade County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||November 25, 1820|
|Address|| Gasconade County Courthouse|
119 E 1st St #2; PO Box 295
Hermann, MO 65041
Gasconade County Website
County Clerk has birth records 1867-1897 and death records 1883-1901;
Recorder of Deeds has land records; Probate Judge has probate
See an interactive map of Gasconade County border changes at N2Genealogy.
To see a list of places in Gasconade County, click on [Show], in the bar above.
Osage County Historical Society has information on historic places from Gasconade, Maries & Osage Counties including sources and links to historic maps. Also see: Ramsay Place Names File (State Historical Society of Missouri).
There are 95 recorded cemeteries in the county.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Gasconade County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Gasconade County, Missouri (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of Gasconade County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Gasconade County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Gasconade County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Gasconade County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Jefferson City newspapers from the early 1900's covering local news that included residents from Gasconade County communities.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1869-1886 - Gasconade County Birth Index 1869-1886. Batch C515114 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Gasconade County Birth Index 1875. Batch C515111 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1886-1894 - Gasconade County Birth Index 1886-1894. Batch C515117 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1822-1881 - Gasconade County Marriage Books A thru D Index 1822-1881. Batch M515112 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Gasconade County Marriage Book 1 Index 1881-1885. Batch M515113 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1869-1894 - Gasconade County Death Index 1869-1894. Batch B515118 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1886-1890 - Gasconade County Death Index 1886-1890. Batch B515116 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1886-1896 - Gasconade County Death Index 1886-1896. Batch B515115 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
- Gasconade County Historical Society (GCHS) Archives & Records Center is a one-stop facility for genealogical and general history research about Gasconade County.
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Biographies from The History of Gasconade County, Missouri (1888) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gasconade County, Missouri. Page 400 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
|This Missouri-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.