Georgetown District, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Not to be confused with Georgetown County created in 1800 by renaming Winyah County. From 1800 to 1868 that Georgetown County was also known by the alias of Georgetown District.
In 1785 four subordinate counties were formed within the overarching Georgetown District:
Prior to 1798 none of these counties became functional. They were counties in name only. Records were kept either at the parish level, at the District Seat level in Georgetown, or at the capital in Charleston. See the 1785 South Carolina Map.
In 1800, South Carolina abolished overarching administrative court districts like Georgetown District, and switched to the county-only concept. An all new Georgetown County was created in 1800 by renaming Winyah County. However they called their counties, districts until 1868, after the Civil War. 
For documents of people who lived in this area from 1768 to 1800, look in:
- St. James Santee Parish records since 1706
- Prince George Parish records since 1721
- Prince Frederick Parish records since 1734
- St. Stephen's Parish records since 1754
- St. Mark's Parish records since 1757
- All Saints Parish records since 1767
- St. David's Parish records since 1768
- papers filed in the District Seat at Georgetown, South Carolina
- papers filed in the early capital at Charleston, South Carolina
"Rotating Formation South Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1682-1987) may be viewed for free at the My South Carolina Genealogy website. The maps rely on AniMap 3.0 software.
- Georgetown District, South Carolina (includes history) (Carolana.com)
- ↑ "The Counties from 1664 to Present - In Alphabetical Order" in South Carolina - The Counties at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/sc_counties_alphabetical_order.html (accessed 9 May 2011).
- ↑ "A History of Georgetown District" in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/Georgetown_district_sc.html (accessed 9 May 2011).
- ↑ Lewis, J.D., Camden District, South Carolina, http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/camden_district_sc.html : 2007
- ↑ "South Carolina Districts and Parishes 1775" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1775.html (accessed 9 May 2011).
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki