Georgia NewspapersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The first Georgia newspaper was the Georgia Gazette published in Savannah beginning in 1763.
Resources for Georgia Newspapers
Libraries and Archives
- The Family History Library, the Georgia Department of Archives and History, and the Georgia Historical Society have an every-name index of Savannah newspapers from 1836 to 1845 FHL film 228710–822 An index to deaths and marriages from 1763 to 1845 is also available. See FHL film 1617971. The Georgia Department of Archives and History is preparing similar indexes for some Augusta and Milledgeville newspapers.
- The Family History Library has a film copy of the vital records card file at the Jacksonville Florida Family History Center FHL films 1204579 (first of 17) This file has names found in newspapers of North Florida and South Georgia for the years 1895 to 1945.
- A guide to the extensive collections of newspapers at the libraries of the University of Georgia is Georgia Newspapers on Microfilm at the UGA Libraries (N.p.: 1978) FHL microfilm 1421709 item 3; book Q 975.8 A5g;).
- To accesss newspaper records available through the Family History Library, use the Place-name Search in the Family History Library catalog for:
- GEORGIA - NEWSPAPERS
- GEORGIA, [COUNTY] - NEWSPAPERS
- GEORGIA, [COUNTY], [CITY] - NEWSPAPERS
The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
Digital Issues Online
The Digital Library of Georgia has several Historic Newspapers online.
- Milledgeville Historic Newspapersis a free searchable site for Georgia newspapers.
- Georgia Newspapers from 50 States.com
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page