Gilmer County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Gilmer County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
10 Howard Street
Glenville, WV 26351
County Clerk has birth, death and court records from 1853
Marriage, probate and land from 1845
See an interactive map of Gilmer County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Gilmer County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
Regiments. Service men in Gilmer County, West Virginia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Gilmer County, West Virginia:
- - 3rd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Companies B and E.
- - 19th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Companies E and H.
- - 31st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company D (Gilmer Rifles).
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
West Virginia Will Books
Societies and Libraries
Gilmer County Historical Society
706 Mineral Road
Glenville, WV 26351
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Family History Library Catalog
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gilmer County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Richard L. Armstrong, 19th and 20th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 101.
- ↑ John M. Ashcraft, 31st Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 48.