Gilmer County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Gilmer County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Gilmer County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 3, 1845|
|Address|| Gilmer County Courthouse|
10 Howard Street
Glenville, WV 26351
Gilmer County Website
County Clerk has birth, death and court records from 1853
Marriage, probate and land from 1845
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in West Virginia counties see: West Virginia Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
- Otterbine or Baptist Church Cemetery inscriptions, Gilmer County, West Virginia
- Snider Cemetery inscriptions, Gilmer County, West Virginia
- Woodford Cemetery records, Gilmer County, West Virginia
For tips on accessing Gilmer County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
Regiments. Service men in Gilmer County, West Virginia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Gilmer County, West Virginia:
- - 3rd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Companies B and E.
- - 19th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Companies E and H.
- - 31st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company D (Gilmer Rifles).
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
Societies and Libraries
Gilmer County Historical Society
706 Mineral Road
Glenville, WV 26351
Family History Centers
- Gilmer County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- FamilySearch Catalog
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gilmer County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Richard L. Armstrong, 19th and 20th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 101.
- ↑ John M. Ashcraft, 31st Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 48.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:19.
- This page has been accessed 12,092 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki