Greene County, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 55:||Line 55:|
==== Parent County ====
==== Parent County ====
'''1838'''--Greene County was created 24 January 1838 from [[Orange County, Virginia|Orange]] County. <br>'''County seat:''' Stanardsville <ref name="
'''1838'''--Greene County was created 24 January 1838 from [[Orange County, Virginia|Orange]] County. <br>'''County seat:''' Stanardsville <ref name=""/>
==== Boundary Changes ====
==== Boundary Changes ====
Latest revision as of 02:40, 12 June 2013
Guide to Greene County Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, immigration records, and military records.
|Greene County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
Greene County Virginia Courthouse
Greene County Courthouse
P.O. Box 386
Standardsville, VA 22973-0386
Clerk Circuit Court has birth records 1853-1896
and 1912-1919, death records 1838-1860
marriage, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1838
Greene County Virginia History
The county is named after Revolutionary War General Nathanael Greene (1742-1786).
- Lost census: 1890
Greene County Virginia Places/Localities
Greene County Virginia Genealogy Resources
- Dorman, John Frederick. "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Greene County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1968):106-107. Digital version at FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
- Tombstone Transcription Project Greene County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing Greene County, Virginia census records online, see: Virginia Census.
Several genealogies have been published about Greene County families. To view a list, visit Greene County, Virginia Genealogy.
Land and Property
Grants and Patents
Land patents (pre-1779), land grants (after 1779) and surveys are available online at the Library of Virginia website. For step-by-step instructions on retrieving these records, read the Virginia Land and Property article.
- Hudgins. 13 patents dated 1722-1761 in what is now Greene County, Virginia placed on a map. DeedMapper. [Names of those who received land patents, dates, land descriptions, and references may be viewed free of charge (click "Index" next to the county listing); however, in order to view the maps, it is necessary to purchase Direct Line Software's DeedMapper product.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Eastern District, Greene County on pages 130-131.]
War of 1812
- Douthat, James L. Roster of War of 1812, Southside, Virginia. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2007. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website. FHL Collection 975.5 M2djL. [Includes Greene County.]
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Greene County, p. 82. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
Regiments. Service men in Greene County, Virginia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Greene County, Virginia:
- - 7th Battalion, Virginia Infantry, Local Defense (1st Nitre Battalion) (Confederate). Company F.
- - 34th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company D (Greene Rough and Readys) and Company K (King and Queen Artillery).
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Greene County, Virginia newspapers.
- 2011-present - Greene County Record (Stanardsville, Va.) at Genealogy Bank ($).
Beth Fridley has published abstracts of Greene County, Virginia birth records online at Ancestry:
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1853-1871 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1872-1878 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1879-1887 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1888-1896 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- 1740-1850 - Virginia Marriages 1740-1850 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1851-1900 - Virginia Marriages 1851-1900 (Ancestry) ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Greene County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Greene County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- Greene Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
Greene County Virginia Genealogy References
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Greene County, Virginia. Page 714 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ David F. Riggs, 7th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1982). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 3.
- ↑ Johnny L. Scott, 34th Virginia Infantry (Appomattox, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1999). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 135.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 12 June 2013, at 02:40.
- This page has been accessed 8,754 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More