- 100 West Piccadilly Street
- Winchester, VA 22601
Hours and holidays:
- Library: Monday/Wednesday 10am-8pm, Tuesday/Friday 10am-5pm, Thursday 10am-1pm, Sunday closed.
- Archives: Monday/Tuesday 1am-5pm, Wednesday 1pm-8pm, Thursday 10am-1pm, Friday/Saturday 10am-5pm, Sunday closed.
Map, directions, and public transportation:
- Google map and directions
- All city buses stop within three blocks of the library. The Northside/Salvation Army and the Northside/Westminster Canterbury southbound buses stop next to the library.
Internet sites and databases:
- Handley Regional Library services, calendar, beyond books, about us, favorite sites, hot titles, online resources, news.
- Library catalog search by keywords, title, author, subject, notes, publisher, series, or ISBN.
- Family and Local History photos, finding aids, free blacks, censuses, Internet databases, high school seniors 1921-1974, library's genealogical holdings.
- Obituary index 1896-1913 (pdf).
Very large collection about Germans and Scots-Irish who traveled the Great Valley Road from Pennsylvania to Virginia, including manuscripts, newspapers, biographies, and histories, and people of the Lower Shenandoah Valley since 1732, emphasizing Winchester and Frederick County in 4000 books, county court abstracts, county histories, genealogies, regimental histories, battles, newspapers since 1787, censuses, 600 linear feet of manuscripts, maps, photos, and oral history tapes.
Use computers for free. Users must have a current Handley Regional Library card to use the Internet.
- Pathfinders biblographies for Civil War Manuscript Collection; Civil War Manuscripts - Diaries and Letters; Death Records Sources; Fairfax Land Grants.
- Manuscript inventories Scope, content, and historical background for hundreds of collections.
If you cannot visit or find a source at the Handley Regional Library, a similar source may be available at one of the following.
- Roanoke County Public Library
- Santa Cruz Public Library Downtown, Santa Cruz, California,
- Vit Rec
- City Gen Hist Libr
- Repositories in surrounding counties: Virginia: Clarke, Shenandoah, Warren; West Virginia: Berkeley, Hampshire, Hardy, Jefferson, and Morgan.
- NYPL, New York City
- LC, Washington, DC
- NARA, Washington, DC