Help:Create a page not linked from an existing pageEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This help article will guide you as you edit in the Wiki. See Contributor Help for more help articles.|
|Quick Reference: Search for the title of the page you want to create. At the top of the search results page, the title will appear in red. Click on the red title to begin editing the new page.|
What will this article help me do?
This help article will instruct you on how to create a new article. Before creating a new article, make sure that a similar article does not exist that you can edit or improve. This will make it easier for users to find similar information in the same location.
Using this method to create a new page rather than creating a page by adding a link helps to avoid duplicate articles on the wiki because it involves searching the wiki for similar articles first.
How to create a new article
1. Log in.
- Log in to the FamilySearch Research Wiki
2. Choose an appropriate title.
- Choose the title of the article you want to create. If you are writing an article about Census records, consider that this topic applies to many localities in many countries. For example, instead of using a title, "Census records," a better choice would be "Kentucky Census records."
3. Perform a search for your title.
- In the search box, type the title of the article you want to create. Make sure you type the title in exactly as you want it to appear, including capital letters, spelling, and punctuation. Click on "Search".
4. Review search results to see if an appropriate page already exists.
- In the search results page, look at close matches, if any, to determine if the article you want to write already exists.
|If a similar article already exists, consider editing or adding to that article rather than creating a new article.|
5. Locate the red link at the top of the search results.
- If no page title matches or there are no close matches covering the topic, then locate the title you searched for in red at the top of the page.
6. Click on the red text title
- Click on the red title at the top of the page. This will open the edit window. For example: If you searched for "Protestants in Ireland," you would click on the words "Protestants in Ireland" shown in red on the page. After clicking on those words, an empty editing window will open for the new page titled "Protestants in Ireland." In the editing window, the title at the top of the page is listed after the word "Editing", for example, "Editing Protestants in Ireland."
7. Add your text.
- Start writing your text for the page in the editing window.
9. Click on "Save page"
- After editing the page, Click on "Save page". Congratulations! You have just created a new page.
|In addition to creating the new page, you should also link related pages to the new article and add a category.|
See a Guided Practice Video on how to create a page not linked to an existing page.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More