Johnson County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Johnson County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Johnson County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||December 13, 1834|
|Address|| Johnson County Courthouse|
300 N Holden Street
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Johnson County Website
County Clerk has birth and death records 1883-1893;
Recorder of Deeds has marriage and land records
from 1835; Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court
records from late 1860’s; Probate Judge has probate
records from mid-1800’s
See an interactive map of Johnson County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
- Johnson County Memorial Gardens, Overland Park
- Knob Noster Cemetery, Washington
- Memorial Gardens Cemetery, Warrensburg
- Mt. Zion Cemetery, Grover
- Roop Cemetery, Warrensburg
- Sunset Hill Cemetery, Warrensburg
- Sutton Cemetery, Warrensburg
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
St. Patrick, Holden
- 1869-1876 - St. Patrick, Holden, Baptism Index 1869-1876. Batch C511991 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-18?3 - St. Patrick, Holden, Marriage Index 1869-18?3. Batch M511991 at FamilySearch - free.
Sacred Heart, Warrensburg
- 1871-1876 - Sacred Heart, Warrensburg, Baptism Index 1871-1876. Batch C511811 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1872-1881 - Sacred Heart, Warrensburg, Marriage Index 1872-1881. Batch M511811 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Johnson County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Johnson County, Missouri (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Map of Johnson County townships (Histopolis)
The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Johnson County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Johnson County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office.
- 1835-1873 - Johnson County Birth Index, Volumes F and G, 1835-1873. Batch C515281 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1835-1873 - Johnson County Marriage Index, Volumes F and G, 1835-1873. Batch M515281 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873-1885 - Johnson County Marriage Index, Volumes H thru K, 1873-1885. Batch M515282 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Johnson County, Missouri. Page 401 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.
|This Missouri-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.