Kent County, Maryland
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 85:||Line 85:|
==== Census ====
==== Census ====
Federal Census reports available 1790-1930 including slave and veterans schedules.
Federal Census reports available 1790-1930 including slave and veterans schedules.
==== Church ====
==== Church ====
Revision as of 03:04, 1 April 2012
|This Maryland-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This article is about a county in the state of Maryland. For other uses, see Kent (disambiguation).
400 High Street
Chestertown, MD 21620
- By 1631, William Clayborne was appointed Commander of the settlers of the Isle of Kent which he named for his home, the English County of Kent.
- Created 30 December 1637 from the Colonial lands.
- 19 February 1661, Talbot County was set off.
- For a time much of Cecil County was attached to Kent County until 1659 then attached to Baltimore County.
- Cecil Burial Ground, near Lynch
- Galena Cemetery, Galena
- Olivet United Methodist Cemetery, Galena
- Quaker Cemetery, Millington
- St. Paul's Episcopal Church Cemetery, Chestertown
- St. Paul's Methodist Church Cemetery, Earleville
- Westminister Presbyterian Cemetery, Georgetown
Federal Census reports available 1790-1930 including slave and veterans schedules. For tips on accessing Kent County, Maryland census records online, see: Maryland Census.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in Kent County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions. The following records, taken from its collection, have been digitized and made available to view for free online:
- Protestant Episcopal (Church of England), Shrewsbury Parish (includes parish registers 1699-1882, vestry minutes 1701-1861 (gaps), and communicants 1876-1882)
Church of England
- Residents Appearing at the Provincial Court, 1647-1656
- Residents Appearing at the Provincial Court, 1656-1660
- Residents Appearing at the Provincial Court, 1662-1670
- Residents Appearing at the Provincial Court, 1670-1676
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Barnes, Robert W., F. Edward Wright, Vernon L. Skinner and Henry C. Peden. Colonial Families of the Eastern Shore of Maryland. 23 vols. Westminster, Md.: Family Line, 1996-2003; Lewes, Del.: Delmarva Roots and Colonial Roots, 2007. FHL US/CAN Book 975.21 D2b v. 1 ff. [Kent County families appear in Vols. 1-3, 7, and 21.]
- Hanson, George Adolphus. Old Kent: The Eastern Shore of Maryland; Notes Illustrative of the Most Ancient Records of Kent County Maryland, and of the Parishes of St. Paul's, Shrewsbury and I. U. and Genealogical Histories of Land and Distinguished Families of Maryland, and Their Connections by Marriage, etc., with an Introduction. Baltimore: J. P. Des Forges, 1876. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive; free online index at Digital Editions; FHL Film 908691 Item 11; 1967 reprint: FHL Book 975.21 D2h 1967
- [Barry] Bidlack, Russell E. Ann Arbor's First Lady, Events in the Life of Ann I. Allen. Ann Arbor, Mich., n.d.
- [Boyer] Wallis, Guy. The Boyer Family of Kent & Cecil County, Maryland and Tompkins County, New York. Bristol, Vt.: G. Wallis, 1997. FHL Film 1750868 Item 10
- [Burchinal] Gans, John Lyons and Frank M. Burchinal. The Burchinal Genealogy: Jeremiah Burchinal of Mt. Harmon, Kent County, Maryland and His Descendants. MSS., Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah. Microfilmed 1965: FHL Film 410183
- [Burchinal] Burchinal, Beryl Modest and Martin Luther Burchinal. The Burchinal Genealogy, Thomas Burtchnell of Cecil County, Maryland and His Son, Jeremiah "Jeremy" Burchinal of Mount Harmon, Kent Co. Maryland and Their Descendants. Pittsburgh: B.M. Burchinal, 1984. FHL Book 929.273 B893bb; 1988 supplement: FHL Book 929.273 B893bb supp. 1
- [Burchinal] Burchinal, Beryl Modest and Donald Lee Robinson. The Burchinal Genealogy: The Descendants of Thomas Burtchnell ca 1670-1709 of Cecil County, Maryland, and His Children Jeremiah Burchinal "Jeremy" and Mary Burchinal, Kent County, Maryland. Apollo, Penn.: Closson Press, 1998. FHL Book 929.273 B893bba
- [Caulk] Russell, George Ely. "The Swedish Settlement in Maryland, 1654," The American Genealogist, Vol. 54, No. 4 (Oct. 1978):203-210. FHL 973 D25aga v. 54
- [Coleman] Coleman, Richard F. and Caroline Coleman Cofrode. A Coleman Family History: De[s]cendants of Charles Coleman, Born 1763, Kent County, Maryland. North Canton, Ohio: R.F. Coleman, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 C677ccc
- [Comegys] Moss, Ernestine Parke. Cornelius Comegys of Kent County, Maryland. Memphis, Tenn.: E.P. Moss, 1982. FHL Book 929.273 C734m
- [Dabb] Russell, George Ely. "Anicake (Hanson) (Elena) (MacKenny) Dabb of Kent County, Maryland, 1652-1674," The American Genealogist, Vol. 54, No. 3 (Jul. 1978):159-164. FHL 973 D25aga v. 54
- [de Hinojosa] Hoff, Henry B. "Alexander de Hinojosa and His Descendants in Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 79, No. 4 (Oct. 2004):260-273.
- [Elena] Russell, George Ely. "Anicake (Hanson) (Elena) (MacKenny) Dabb of Kent County, Maryland, 1652-1674," The American Genealogist, Vol. 54, No. 3 (Jul. 1978):159-164. FHL 973 D25aga v. 54
- [Elena] Russell, George Ely. "Portuguese and Spanish Colonists in Seventeenth-Century Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 76, No. 1 (January 2001):50-60.
- [Elenor] See Elena.
- [Elexson] Russell, George Ely. "The Swedish Settlement in Maryland, 1654," The American Genealogist, Vol. 54, No. 4 (Oct. 1978):203-210. FHL 973 D25aga v. 54
- [Forman] Dandridge, Anne Spottswood and Anne Elizabeth Forman Dismukes. The Forman Genealogy: Descendants of Robert Forman of Kent Co., Maryland, Who Died in 1719-1720: Also Descendants of Robert Forman of Long Island, New York, Who Died in 1671; the Forman Family of Monmouth Co., New Jersey; Together with Notices of Other Families of the Name Forman. Salem, Mass.: Higginson, [2001?]. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive; FHL Book 929.273 F765d; another copy: FHL Film 547060
- [Hanson] Russell, George Ely. "Anicake (Hanson) (Elena) (MacKenny) Dabb of Kent County, Maryland, 1652-1674," The American Genealogist, Vol. 54, No. 3 (Jul. 1978):159-164. FHL 973 D25aga v. 54
- [Hanson] Russell, George Ely. "The Swedish Settlement in Maryland, 1654," The American Genealogist, Vol. 54, No. 4 (Oct. 1978):203-210. FHL 973 D25aga v. 54
- [Hanson] Hanson, George A. Old Kent. 1876. 159-168.
- [Holman] Utermohlen, William J. The Holman Family of Kent County, Maryland and Woodford County, Kentucky: A Preliminary Study. Alexandria, Va.: W.J. Utermohlen, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 H731u
- [Holman] Utermohlen, William J. "The Ancestry of Richard Rue and His Holman and Vansant Connections," The American Genealogist, Vol. 69, No. 4 (Oct. 1994):235-245.
- [Hosier] Henry Hosier of Kent County, Maryland. Typescript. No date. Microfilmed 1983: FHL Fiche 6018871
- [MacKenny] Russell, George Ely. "Anicake (Hanson) (Elena) (MacKenny) Dabb of Kent County, Maryland, 1652-1674," The American Genealogist, Vol. 54, No. 3 (Jul. 1978):159-164. FHL 973 D25aga v. 54
- [Rue] Utermohlen, William J. "The Ancestry of Richard Rue and His Holman and Vansant Connections," The American Genealogist, Vol. 69, No. 4 (Oct. 1994):235-245.
- [Strong] Albee, Fredericka Strong (b. 1878). One Branch of the Strong Family of Kent County, Maryland. Typescript, National Library, DAR. Microfilmed 1971: FHL Film 875394 Item 3
- [Usilton] Stuart, Sarah Elisabeth. William Usilton of Kent County, Maryland (? -1729) and Some of His Descendants. Chestertown, Md.: E.V. Tuttle, 1938. FHL Film 1401461
- [Vansant] See Rue.
- [Wallis] Wallis, Lucille A. and Guy Wallis. Samuel Wallis of Kent County, Maryland: Some of His Descendants & Allied Families. Multi-volume. Decorah, Iowa: Anundsen, 1991-2000. FHL Book 929.273 W158wL
- [Wolcott] Wolcott, John Benjamin and Charles V. Waid. Wolcott Immigrants and Their Early Descendants (the First Six Generations): Henry and Elizabeth Wolcott of Windsor, Connecticut; John and Winifred Wolcott of Watertown, Massachusetts; William and Alice Wolcott of Salem, Massachusetts; John and Sarah Wolcott of Kent County, Maryland; Samuel Wolcott of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. n.p.: Society of the Descendants of Henry Wolcott, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 W83wj
The New Early Settlers of Maryland database is a great place to start searching for immigrants who had arrived in the colony by the 1680s. The database "comprises 34,326 entries from Gust Skordas' Early Settlers of Maryland and Carson Gibb's Supplement to the Early Settlers of Maryland." Available online, courtesy: Maryland State Archives.
Other Kent County immigration resources include:
- Act of Naturalization of Several Individuals
- Coldham, Peter Wilson. "Correspondence with the American Colonies 1739-1782," The Genealogist, Vol. 12, No. 1 (Spring 1998):108-128; Vol. 12, No. 2 (Fall 1998):189-205. [Overseas correspondence of residents of Chester Town [Chestertown] and Kent County with the following surnames: Ringold and Wilmore.] Available at FHL.
- Kent County Immigration Index 1663-1667
- List of imported servants and transported convicts from Europe who served labor terms in Colonial Kent County, Maryland (work in progress), courtesy: Immigrant Servants Database. [Includes Richard J. Cox's abstracts of Maryland Gazette runaways.]
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Kent County Deed Books (1648-present) have been uploaded to their website: MDLandRec.Net: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
Other Kent County land resources include:
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Maryland, Kent County on page 127.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Maryland, Kent County, pp. 151-152. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- Kent County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- [1678, 1681] 1678 and 1681 Kent County tax lists, available online, courtesy: MDGenWeb.
-  Kent County Tax List of 1783: This is an alphabetical index to names to all property owners assessed. The index cards at the Maryland State Archives include county, hundred, names of tracts of land and whether individuals were paupers or single males as provided in the law.
- Maryland Death Certificate Index 1898-1944, available online, courtesy: Vital Records Indexing Project, Maryland State Archives.
Other Kent County death resources include:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Kent County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Kent County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Kent County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Kent County
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More