| Knox County Public Library
- McClung Historical Collection
E-mail: Ask a librarian form.
- 601 South Gay Street 3rd Floor
- Knoxville, TN 37902
- Sun:1:00 – 5:00
Mon:9:00 – 8:30
Tues:9:00 – 8:30
Wed:9:00 – 5:30
Thurs:9:00 – 5:30
Fri:9:00 – 5:30
Sat:9:00 – 5:00
Directions, map, and public transportation:
Internet sites and databases:
- Knox County Public Library hours and locations, go to catalog, explore the collection, calendar and programs, about, local and family history, kid zone, teen central, news, and events.
- KCPL catalog online search by keyword, author, title, subject, or series.
The Knox County Public Library's McClung Historical Collection on the 3rd floor of the East Tennessee History Center is the premier genealogy repository in this part of Tennessee. It has an index to early Tennessee and North Carolina families. No index in North Carolina can top this one. This library has Internet genealogy databases, more than 75,000 books, 3,000 genealogies, 15,000 First Families of Tennessee, manuscripts, censuses, state and local government records, newspapers, Knoxville city directories, maps, and photos. The same building also houses the Knox County Archives, and the East Tennessee Historical Society and Museum.
- Local and Family History Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection, Knox County Archives, East Tennessee Historical Society and Museum, Historical Resources A - Z, Getting Started with Genealogy, Events, and New at McClung.
Many photographs are online in the McClung Digital Collection.
If you cannot visit or find a source at the Knox County Public Library, a similar source may be available at one of the following.
- National Archives at Atlanta records of federal agencies and courts for Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee, censuses, ships lists, naturalizations, Indian records, and military records.
- Tennessee State Library and Archives
- County Vital Records Office
- County Archives
- County Orphan's Court
- County Probate Court
- County Recorder
- County Coroner
- County and local historical societies
- County and local genealogical societies
- U.S. District Court
- Museums and heritage societies
- University of Tennessee Hodges Library
- Church archives
- Repositories in surrounding counties: Anderson, Blount, Grainger, Jefferson, Loudon, Sevier, Roane, and Union
- State Vital Records Office
- Tennessee Historical Society
- Tennessee Genealogical Society Library
- Repositories in other surrounding states (or provinces): Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Virginia.
- Allen County Public Library
- Bristol Public Library, Bristol Virginia
- Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research, Houston, Texas,
- Family History Library
- Santa Cruz Public Library Downtown, California, holds the Tina Brayton Collection which is equivalent to the Draper Collection but larger and with a better index, and many compiled genealogies of Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia families.