Knoxville Tennessee Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- Address: 400 Kendall Rd., Knoxville, TN 37919
- Location on Map
- Tuesday: 10a.m.–4p.m.; 6p.m.–8p.m.
- Wednesday: 11a.m–2p.m.; 6p.m.–8p.m.
- Thursday: 10a.m.–4p.m
- Saturday (or any other days): By appointment only.
Thanksgiving Week: We are open only on Tuesday, 25 November 2014: 10a.m.–4p.m.; 6p.m.–8p.m. We're closed the rest of the week. We reopen with our regular schedule on Tuesday, 2 December 2014. Have a happy Thanksgiving!
December 2014: We will be open for the first 2 weeks of December. We close for the rest of the 2014 year after our hours Thursday, 11 December 2014. If you would like to have a special appointment after that point in time, please email us, and we will get back to you to make arrangements with you. See you Tuesday, 6 January 2015!
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings:
We hold regular staff training meetings on the first Thursday of each month at 7p.m.
All Family History Consultants are invited to attend whether they are on our staff or not.
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- The center has six computers and also wi-fi connection ability for those bringing in their lap-tops. One of the computers serves as the Server/Admin computer for running the FHC. The other 5 computers are open for public research usage.
- We have a Canon 300II microfilm/fiche scanner that is also networked to one of the 5 other computers and a printer for scanning copies from film and/or fiche. Cost for using the Scanner is $1.00 per hour of use along w/cost of any prints.
- In the main library, we also have a 'retired' Canon 90 scanner that many patrons prefer to use as a film and/or fiche reader along one microfilm reader and microfiche reader. We no longer use it for scanning.
- The computers are networked to two printers for printing out items from the internet that you might require for your research. The cost for prints is $0.10 each.
- We have a dark film-reading room w/access to 4 microfilm readers and one microfiche reader.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
We Need more Volunteers for our Family History Center!
Requirements to Volunteer:
A desire to serve the community. Our work in the FHC is entirely voluntary. You do not have to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We have many fine volunteers from the community, who are not LDS who serve in our FHC. An interest in Family History is a great help, but not necessary. Once you get started learning the different Family History programs by teaching others and doing your own Family History, you'll see why it's so fun!
An ability to work w/computers. One of the main things we do is familiarize our patrons with how to use a computer in doing their Family History research.
A desire to learn and teach others how to do Family History and it's many facets. We have a wide spectrum of volunteers on our staff: Some who are professional researchers, and others who are just learning how to do Family History. Journaling and Family History Indexing are the specialties of the current director. We all work together to make sure we can serve as best as possible the patrons who come to the Knoxville, TN FHC. A desire to learn about Family History and to teach others is what makes our Family History Center work!
The ability to come to the Family History Center frequently. The definition for "frequently" here means at least once a week. Because of the rapid - and rapid is the best word! - changes that are being made in computer programming for Family History, it is important that you are coming to the FHC at least weekly. The various work shifts are either 2 or 3 hours depending on whether you are serving in the evening or daytime, respectively. We are also required to maintain 2 people on each shift to keep the FHC open. We could definitely use your help!
If you are interested in joining our staff, please go to the email address above: firstname.lastname@example.org . Send us some info about yourself (name, contact info, and preferred time(s) to work). The FHC Director will get back with you as soon as possible. Thank you, in advance, for your willingness to volunteer at the Knoxville, TN Family History Center.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki