Las Vegas Nevada FSL/Group VisitsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Las Vegas FamilySearch Library is pleased and eager to offer the opportunity for individuals, organizations, and others to schedule a group visit to our library. We offer three options that are sure to provide interest to your group.
Please review the following guide lines for scheduling a group visit. Scroll to the end of this page for the link to submit a request for a group visit after reading the information below.
- Group Size: Because of our staffing, regular patrons, facility and equipment limits we limit the total of visitors in groups to 35 per session (maximum of 12 computers in the lab). This can be a single group or multiple groups meeting separately or combined. Please do not come to the library with more than 6 people without a group reservation. This ensures that staff, building facilities and computers will be available to support your group and their objectives.
- Request Procedure: All requests for group visits should be made telephone reservations at 382-9695. Please call with minimum 7 days advance notice. Each request will be confirmed by email within 1-2 days. Because we often are at scheduled capacity, please do not bring a group to the library on a night your reservation has not been confirmed.
- Available Times: Visits usually last about 1 hour and 15 minutes. We have morning visits beginning at 10 AM and need to conclude their visit no later than 8:45 on Tuesday through Thursday and 4:45 on Monday, Friday and Saturday.
- Supervision: We highly suggest the Family History Consultant and adults accompanying youth groups should prepare to actively participate with their youth. For example: if the youth will participate in Indexing, then each adult in the group should be registered and have some experience with Indexing before the visit. Local family history consultants are an excellent resource to bring with your group and will provide continuity after your visit.
- Printing: Copies of any documents found during your visit can be printed at the library for a nominal charge $.05 per black and white copies; $.60 for color copies.
Important for a Successful and Rewarding Visit
- LDS Account Login: Very Important! Each LDS Member of the group should have an LDS Login Account before coming to the Library. Please have the members of your group log into https://ldsaccount.lds.org or another church account site prior to your visit to make sure their Username and password are working.
- LDS Account Registration: For members who don’t have a current account, have them register for one prior to your visit. They can do this by going to https://ldsaccount.lds.org and clicking on the Register for an LDS Account button on the right side of the screen and entering the necessary information, which includes their church membership number and birth date. Their membership number is on their temple recommend or can be provided by their ward clerk.
- Personal Family History Information: Except for Indexing visits, please have everyone attempt to create a personal Pedigree Chart with as much family information as possible. It is best to find an ancestor who is deceased and born prior to 1940 for doing research.
- Specific Goal or Objective to Accomplish: Each group should have an idea or goal, before they arrive, of what they would like to accomplish during the visit to our library.
- Selecting the Group Presentation: Select from the following options. We are not able to combine presentations in a single visit and suggest that you schedule additional times for other topics of interest.
Group Visit Options:
The first option include a short presentation in one of our meeting rooms with the remainder of the time in the library.
1. Tour-'Introduction to the FamilySearch Library' An overview of our facility, web site, and tools, applications, and equipment available in and from our library and premium websites the FS Library has free access to.
2.Introduction to Family Tree
A basic demonstration of the functions, features, and use of the information available in FamilySearch.org under Family Tree tab to church members to find what is currently known regarding their ancestors. This is the option for youth groups seeking to locate ancestors to take to the temple. Please read the information under Personal Family History Information above.
3.Introduction to Indexing
An overview of the WHY and how of indexing and a demonstration of the indexing application for indexing in the library or at home.
4. Basic Research
Learn how to use FamilySearch.org Records to find historical documents and vital records to document and source personal research. Also use Wiki to find what is available in the area of research of interest. Please read the information under Personal Family History Information above.
Please Call the Center at 382-9695 to Schedule a Visit
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More