Lawrence County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lawrence County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lawrence County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||February 14, 1845|
|County Seat||Mount Vernon|
|Address|| Lawrence County Courthouse|
PO Box 309
Mount Vernon, MO 65712
Lawrence County Website
Recorder Deeds has marriage and land records from 1846;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records from 1846;
Probate Judge has probate records from 1846
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Family Biographies from The History of Lawrence County, Missouri (1889) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Sacred Heart, Verona
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Lawrence County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Biographies from The History of Lawrence County, Missouri (1889) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Lawrence County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Lawrence County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
- - 11th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company A
- - 11th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company D
- - 11th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company G
- - 11th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company H
- - 15th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company G
- - 14th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company G
- - 7th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), 7th Provisional Regiment, Detached
- - 7th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
- - 7th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B
- - 7th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company C
- - 7th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company G
- - 7th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company G
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lawrence County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Joplin newspapers and Neosho newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Lawrence County communities.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1827-1876 - Lawrence County Birth Index, Volumes A thru D, 1827-1876. Batch C515321 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1845-1868 - Lawrence County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1845-1868. Batch M515321 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-1885 - Lawrence County Marriage Books C and D Index 1869-1881. Batches M515322 and M515323 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Barry-Lawrence Regional Library - This library houses the genealogical book collection of the County Historical Society Walter C. McCanse Library, at Mt. Vernon, Mo.
- Mt. Vernon Branch Library
206 W. Water Street - Mt. Vernon, MO 65712
Phone: (417) 466-2921 - Fax: 417-466-2936
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
Sites with online indexes or images of records Missouri Digital Heritage Free digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State MOGenWeb Free Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions USGenWeb Archives Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Sites that search for links pertaining to Lawrence County, Missouri RootsWeb resources Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Linkpendium Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) CyndisList Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) StateofUS Free family history resources and government records Major catalogs for hard copy collections of Lawrence County, Missouri
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
FamilySearch catalog Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box. WorldCat To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog. Allen County Public Library located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing. Missouri State Archives Library catalog; from this page you must search "Lawrence County" See also local libraries and Missouri Archives and Libraries Social networking sites pertaining to Lawrence County, Missouri Google+ Missouri Genealogy Network Community list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search genealogy.com Lawrence County, MO Genealogy Forum ancestry.com Lawrence County Message Board
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lawrence County, Missouri. Page 402 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki