Lewis (old) County was originally established by Tennessee in 1843 from parts of Maury, Hickman, Lawrence, Perry and Wayne counties. After the Civil War, in February 1869, a disspirited legislature voted to disband the non-functioning county. The act called for the county records and court suits to be returned to the respective parent counties, but that apparently did not happen. In December 1869, at the request of Lewis County citizens, the same legislature repealed the previous dissolution and restored Lewis County. The re-established Lewis County has functioned since that time.