Los Altos California Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Los Altos Family History Center serves the communities of Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Mountain View, and parts of Sunnyvale and Palo Alto. The Center maintains several computers and film readers, and can have a ScanPro 2000 film digitizer unit available upon request. Our book collection contains many records from New England States.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- Address: 1300 Grant Road, Los Altos, CA (Corner of Grant Rd and Portland Ave.) *Location on Map
- Tues - Thurs: 7 PM to 9 PM
- Sunday: 3 PM - 5 PM, and most days by appointment (contact 650-969-6567 for appt.)
Holiday Schedule: The Center will be closed for:
- Thanksgiving Day -- Thursday, November 28, 2013
- Christmas -- Wednesday and Thursday, December 25-26, 2013
- New Year's Eve -- Tuesday, December 31, 2013
- New Year's Day -- Wednesday, January 1, 2014
- Easter -- Sunday, April 20, 2014
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- Staff training sessions occur every second Sunday from 4:30PM to 5:30PM in the meeting room across from the center.
- Family History Library Catalog: Micofilm and fiche found in the Family History Library Catalog may be ordered online at www.familysearch.org/films and designated to be delivered to the Los Altos Family History Center. Once delivered they may be viewed on the equipment at the center free of charge during normal open hours..
- A catalog of all of the books, periodicals, CD's and extended loan microfilms and microfiche held by the Los Altos Family History Center is available online
NOTE : When using the link to the Bay Area Family History Centers Catalog you are searching the catalogs of 15 family history centers. When you find a resource of interest, be sure to click on the "Show Copies" tab to see which location has the book, film. microfiche or CD you are interested in.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions, including Ancestry.com.
Hardware and Equipment
- Three computers
- Three film readers
- One microfiche reader
Staff Research Specialties
The staff has advanced training in English research and New England research
Resources in the Local Area
The Silicon Valley Computer Genealogy Group meets every second Saturday (except Dec) at the same location as the Santa Clara Family History Center and offers a variety of classes and computer training sessions for all levels of research and skills.
The Santa Clara City Library on Homestead Rd. maintains a large collection of genealogical materials on the second floor.
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News