From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 98:||Line 98:|
'''Extinct or Renamed Parishes: ''' [[Acadia]] | [[Attakapas County, Louisiana|Attakapas]] | [[Baton Rouge Parish|Baton Rouge]] | [[Biloxi Parish|Biloxi]] | [[Carroll Parish, Louisiana|Carroll]] | [[Feliciana Parish, Louisiana|Feliciana
'''Extinct or Renamed Parishes: ''' [[Acadia]] | [[Attakapas County, Louisiana|Attakapas]] | [[Baton Rouge Parish|Baton Rouge]] | [[Biloxi Parish|Biloxi]] | [[Carroll Parish, Louisiana|Carroll]] | [[Feliciana Parish, Louisiana|Feliciana]] | [[German Coast County, Louisiana|German Coast]] | [[Opelousas County, Louisiana|Opelousas]] | [[Pascagoula Parish|Pascagoula]] | [[Sabine Free State]] | [[Warren Parish|Warren]] <br>
=== Did You Know? ===
=== Did You Know? ===
Revision as of 19:11, 23 July 2014
Welcome! Please have fun and add information to the wiki! If you have any questions, please contact Aberksan, the moderator.
Welcome to Louisiana
|How to Find Information about Louisiana Ancestors|
Did You Know?
- Join a Facebook or Skype Louisiana Genealogy Research Community!
- The Family History Library has the United States federal censuses of Louisiana for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930. The 1890 census was destroyed, but there is a Union veterans schedule and a published index to it that is available at the Family History Library. The population schedule for the Ascension Parish 1890 census is at the Division of Archives, Records Management, and History, and an index has been published and is at the Family History Library.
- Louisiana State University Special Collections in the Hill Memorial Library have the most complete collection of maps for the state. The Family History Library has a few historical maps, including maps of early land districts. Ward maps for New Orleans (1829, 1834, 1845, 1854, and 1898) are on FHL film 1377700 or fiche 6016695-99.
- The Louisiana State Archives has microfilms of New Orleans Passenger Lists Judy Riffel's book "A Guide to Genealogical Research at the Louisiana State Archives" is available by writing to Le Comite des Archives de la Louisiane, Inc., P.O. Box 1547, Baton Rouge LA 70821-1547.
LA Research Tools and Resources
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Louisiana GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- BYU Research Outline for Louisiana
- Colonial Louisiana
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Louisiana
Wiki articles describing online collections sre found at:
- Louisiana Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Louisiana Confederate Pension Applications (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Louisiana Deaths Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Louisiana Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Louisiana, Eastern District Naturalization Petitions (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Louisiana, Naturalization Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Louisiana Parish Marriage Records (FamilySearch HIstorical Records)
Obtain additional help
- Call or chat with an experienced researcher
- Join a Facebook Group
- Consult a Professional Genealogist
How You Can Help Build the Wiki
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here
Thanks to the Louisiana Content Contributors
Anyone can be a contributor. Contributors are people who write and edit the pages for FamilySearch Wiki. Thanks to the following contributors for helping to build this page (in alpha order). Help grow the wiki and add content today!
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki