Louisiana Naturalization and CitizenshipEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
AvailabilityNaturalization records were filed in various courts in Louisiana. The Family History Library has records of the United States District Court (Eastern District) for the years 1812 to the 1930s. These are listed in the catalog underLOUISIANA - NATURALIZATION. The originals are located at the United States District Court in New Orleans.
- 1838-1861 Louisiana, Eastern District Naturalization Petitions Louisiana, Eastern District Naturalization Petitions -Free index. Images at Fold 3 ($). Includes the name and residence of the petitioner, country of birth, city and date of arrival, and the names of two witnesses.
The Family History Library also has naturalization records of New Orleans from various parish and United States district courts for the years 1821 to 1906. Some have indexes.
- 1831-1906 Louisiana, Naturalization Records, 1831-1906 -Free browseable images, not complete.
These records are also listed in the Family History Library Catalog under LOUISIANA - ORLEANS - NATURALIZATION. Most of the original records are at the New Orleans Public Library. The Howard Tilton Library also has many of the citizenship applications for New Orleans.
The Family History Library has a few naturalization papers of other parishes. In some areas, however, these papers are filed along with court and probate records, many of which the Family History Library has.
In 1906 the Immigration and Naturalization Service (now United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) was created, forms were standardized, and duplicate records were created by the court and sent to the INS. To access these records, use the Genealogy Program at U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services. You may also contact the National Archives Southwest Region (Ft. Worth) for naturalization records.
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Louisiana, Eastern District Naturalization Petitions (FamilySearch Historical Records.)
- Louisiana, Naturalization Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- This page was last modified on 31 December 2013, at 22:52.
- This page has been accessed 2,704 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More