Maine GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Welcome to the Maine page,
the Pine Tree State
- British fisherman permanently settled Maine before the Pilgrims in 1620
- Maine was part of Massachusetts until the 1820 Missouri Compromise
- Numerous border, county, and name changes affected record keeping
- Maine has the most uneven quality of vital town records of New England
Major RepositoriesMaine State Archives (http://www.maine.gov/sos/arc/) Maine State Library (http://www.maine.gov/msl/) Maine Historical Society · Cutler Memorial Library (Farmington) · Folger Library, University of Maine at Orono (http://library.umaine.edu/) Allen County Public Library · New England Historic Genealogical Society · National Archives Northeast Region (Boston)
Did you know?
Maine was formed by glaciers in the Ice Age. The state covers 33,387 square miles which ranks it 39th in size among all states. Understanding the lay of the land can help you find records for your ancestors. The Maine Maps article provides more information about the state.
- The Maine GenWeb Project provides county information about formation date, parent county, county seat, bibliography, cemeteries, census, churches, towns, history, look ups, obituaries, queries, repositories, surname registry, and many Internet links.
- Maine Genealogy offers databases, transcribed records, and a social network for Maine researchers.
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Maine
Wiki articles describing these collections are found at:
- Maine Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Maine Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Maine Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Maine, Aroostook County Deed Books (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Maine, Knox County Probate Estate Files (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Maine, Veterans Cemetery Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Things you can do
Below list some of the many tasks you can help with:
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here:
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News