ManitobaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
1. What information do you wish to locate about your ancestor? To choose the sources you need to search first, please click on RECORD SELECTION TABLE: Manitoba, which will help you decide.
2. From the above Record Selection Table, which sources do you wish to check in this province? To check the availability of your sources of interest as well as to check the websites that have them online, please click on this province's SOURCES LINKS TABLE .
3. Do you know the location that you wish to search in this province? If so, please check for some possible sources and some online information about your location of interest, by clicking on this province's POPULATED PLACES TABLE A-H or I-Q or R-Z.
4. For further information regarding your sources of interest, see "TOPICS" ABOVE and click on the source of interest.
Effective family research requires some understanding of the historical events that may have affected your family and the records about them. Learning about wars, governments, laws, migrations, and religious trends may help you understand political boundaries, family movements, and settlement patterns. Read more....
- BYU Research Outline for Manitoba, Canada
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network
- Mary's Genealogy Treasures – great research resource
Did You Know
- "Manitoba" is a Cree name meaning "the place where the spirit (manitou) speaks." It is the home of over a million people (1,177,600 in 2005). Winnipeg is the largest city. About 706,900 people live there. Manitoba is home to many Metis and other native peoples.
- Manitoba was very sparsely populated prior to the late 1870s, when the Government of Canada opened it for settlement.
- Given the nickname "the Postage Stamp province", Manitoba was a 130 mile by 110 mile rectangle when it was officially established in 1870. Today, this most eastern of the prairie provinces has expanded to 18 times its original size and is more respectfully referred to as "the Keystone province". Read more...
Things You Can Do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki