Maryland CemeteriesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The following websites will help you find cemetery records, transcriptions, and headstone photographs currently available online:
- Tombstone Transcription Project for Maryland
- Interment.net cemetery records for Maryland
- Cemetery Junction
- Maryland Gravestones
- Maryland Cemetery Pictures on flickr
- Saving Graves
Resources at the Maryland State Archives
- Tombstones and Cemetery Records. A bibliography for each county in Maryland is listed on this site. Other resources are also available.
- Funeral Home Records are closely related to a search for cemetery records. The Maryland State Archives website maintains a list of funeral homes and identifies where some of the records are located.
National Cemeteries in Maryland
- Annapolis National Cemetery - Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- Baltimore National Cemetery - Baltimore City, Maryland
- Garrison Forest Veterans Cemetery - Owings Mills, Baltimore County, Maryland
- Loudon Park National Cemetery located in Baltimore City, Maryland. An index is available at Interment.net
- Point Lookout Confederate Cemetery located at the Point Lookout State Park, St. Mary's County, Maryland. Indexes are available at Interment.net, FindAGrave.com, and Descendants of Point Lookout POW Organization. Also of interest is the details about the Historical Marker that was erected by the state of Maryland in 1876. Click here to see a panoramic views of the cemetery.
African American Cemeteries in Maryland
Cemetery records at the Family History Library for Maryland
- Cemetery records at the Family History Library for Maryland
- Directory of Cemeteries in Maryland available at the Family History Library
The Family History Library has the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) and the Holdcraft collections that contain tombstone inscriptions from some Maryland cemeteries. See Maryland Genealogy for additional information about these records.
The county-by-county list of the cemetery record transcripts available at the Family History Library is:
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Index to United States Cemeteries. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1988. (Family History Library films 1206468-94.) Film 1206475 includes Maryland among other states.
A large card file of tombstone inscriptions for Baltimore is:
- Loudon Park Cemetery (Baltimore, Maryland). Cemetery Records, 1853-1986. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1986. (On 66 Family History Library films beginning with 1429937.)
The Maryland Historical Society has many cemetery records. They are often filed with records of the church they were associated with. Many tombstone inscriptions have also been published in periodicals.
The Genealogical Council of Maryland is preparing a directory of cemeteries for four Maryland counties. The directory will give the name of the cemetery, its address or location, the name of a contact person, the dates of the earliest and most recent burial, the present condition of the cemetery, whether the tombstones have been transcribed, and where the transcripts can be found.
Maryland Cemetery Message Boards and Online Mailing Lists
If you need help finding the cemetery where your ancestor was buried in Maryland, an online message board or mailing list might be helpful:
See the county pages for a list of cemeteries located in each of Maryland's counties:
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News