Maryland PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article needs revision. Want to help? Please sign up on the Maryland Barn Raising page! For ideas on the types of headings and information to add to this article, click the Discussion link to the right and also see Headings for Articles about Records.|
Many family history periodicals publish local records of genealogical value. These may include genealogies; information about local records and archives; queries; census indexes; and transcripts of family Bibles, church records, court records, cemetery records, land records, obituaries, and wills.
The following sources are the major genealogical periodicals for Maryland:
- Maryland Genealogical Society Journal. 1961-. Published by the Society, 201 W. Monument St., Baltimore, MD 21201. (Family History Library book 975.2 B2mb, 49 volumes.) Formerly known as the Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin.
- The Maryland Genealogical Bulletin. 1930-50. Published by Robert F. Hayes, Jr., ed. (Family History Library book 975.2 B2h; vol. 10 is on film 547581 item 2; Volumes. 12-20 on fiche 6017749.) Formerly known as the Maryland Historical and Genealogical Bulletin.
- Maryland Historical Magazine. 1906-. Published by the Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. (Family History Library book 975.2 H25m, 103 volumes; vols. 1-68 on 21 Family History Library films beginning with 547210.) The Maryland State Archives at http://www.msa.md.gov/ has a comprehensive card index to names and subjects in this magazine for 1906 to 1960. Recent issues emphasize history and have less genealogical information.
- Maryland Magazine of Genealogy. 1978-1982. Published by the Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. (Family History Library book 975.2 D25ma, 5 volumes.) This publication was absorbed by the Maryland Historical Magazine in 1983.
- The Maryland and Delaware Genealogist. 1959-1990. Published by Raymond B. Clark, Jr., P.O. Box 352, St. Michaels, MD 21663. (Family History Library book 975 B2m, 31 volumes.)
Indexes. Many of the periodicals listed above have annual indexes in the final issue for the year. For nationwide indexes to some family history periodicals, see:
- PERiodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1986-1997. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; fiche 6016863 [set of 40](1847-1985); fiche 6016864 [set of 15](1986-1990);.) Indexes thousands of family history periodicals. Annual indexes have been published yearly from 1986-1997. At http://www.familysearch.org/ at the “guides” prompt on the home page. Sort by Title then under “P” for PERSI. The guide has helpful information, but since it was created in 1990, it does not have the most current information. The current version of this index is online at Heritagequestonline.com, which is available at the Family History Library, family history centers and many public libraries.
Also see the "Periodicals" section of the United States Research Outline.
The Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog lists more family history periodicals under:
MARYLAND - PERIODICALS
MARYLAND - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
MARYLAND - SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
MARYLAND , [COUNTY] - PERIODICALS
MARYLAND , [COUNTY] - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
MARYLAND , [COUNTY] - SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News