Maryland State Archives|
- 350 Rowe Blvd.
- Annapolis, MD 21401
Telephone: Maryland toll free 800-235-4045, or 410-260-6400
Hours: Wednesday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and some Saturdays 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more details, click here.
Internet sites and databases:
Births 1654-1924;marriages 1640-1997; deaths from counties 1654-1991, from Baltimore City 1875-1994; divorces, adoptions, census, city directories, cemetery, church records, courts, criminal, land, immigration, naturalization, plats, probates, taxation, biographies, newspapers, and periodicals.
The Archives will be closed on some Saturdays — click here to learn which ones.
Maryland State Archives, Guide to Government Records [online] at http://guide.mdsa.net/ (accessed 21 October 2008).
- Maryland Division of Vital Records - births 1898-1972; marriages 1990-present; deaths 1968-present.
- Maryland County Circuit Courts (see individual county courthouses) - supplied many of the earlier copies of the births, marriages, and deaths at Maryland States Archives.
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) - preserves and documents United States federal government and historical records, including American Indian papers, federal censuses, U.S. passenger arrival lists, passport applications, federal land, military and war records, and some naturalizations.
- Family History Library - has books and microfilms of Maryland Bibles, biography, census, church, court, directory, immigration, gazetteer, genealogy, history, land, map, military, minority, naturalization, newspaper, periodical, public, society, tax, and vital records for the state, counties, and many towns.
- Library of Maryland History
- Maryland State Library
- Maryland Historical Society at http://www.mdhs.org/
- surrounding state archives in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Virginia, and West Virginia.