MassachusettsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|News and Events|
|New England Historic Geneal. Soc. events|
Welcome to the Massachusetts page,
the Bay State
- New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS)
- Published BMDs of 215 towns to 1850
- Large number of family histories
- Mayflower, & Great Migration records
- Congregational Church records
- Warnings out town records
Obsolete Jurisdictions of Massachusetts: Cornwall (ME) · Devonshire (ME) · Dominion of New England · Dukes (NY) · Maine · Massachusetts Bay Colony · New Hampshire · New Netherland · Norfolk (old) · Plymouth Colony · Yorkshire (ME)
New England Historic Genealogical Society · Massachusetts State Archives · Massachusetts State Library · Massachusetts Historical Society · Boston Public Library · Connecticut Valley Historical Museum · Berkshire Athenaeum · Peabody Essex Museum · American Antquarian Society · National Archives Northeast Region (Boston) · New York Public Library
Migration RoutesBay Road · Catskill Road · Coastal Path · Greenwood Road · Kennebunk Road · King's Highway or Boston Post Road · Massachusetts Turnpike · Mohawk Trail · Old Connecticut Path · Old Roebuck Road · Connecticut River · Atlantic Coast Ports
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts entered the Union on February 6, 1788, as the sixth state. It is governed under its original constitution, which was adopted in 1780. Boston (also known as "The Hub" and "Beantown") became the capitol city of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1632. It has served as the state capitol since 1780. For more information about the history of Massachusetts, see the Massachusetts History article.
- The Massachusetts GenWeb Project provides county information about formation date, parent county, county seat, bibliography, cemeteries, census, churches, towns, history, look ups, obituaries, queries, repositories, surname registry, and many Internet links.
- Massachusetts Land Records provides access to indexes and search tools to find recorded records. Some counties have records, with images, available back to 1900.
- County Creation Dates and Divisions showing dates they were created or renamed and counties created from older counties.
Wiki articles describing these collections are found at:
- Massachusetts Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts Birth Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetta Deaths (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts Marriage Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts 1955 Census (FamilySearch Historical Records
- Massachusetts 1865 Census (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts, Naturalization Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts Springfield Vital Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts, State Vital Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki