Missouri GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
How did your migrating ancestor find the correct destination out West? Quite possibly they had a copy of Brown's book:
- Brown, Samuel R. The Western Gazetteer or Emigrant's Directory, Containing a Geographical Description of the Western States and Territories, viz. The States of Kentucky, Indiana, Louisiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Mississippi: and the Territories of Illinois, Missouri, Alabama, Michigan, and North-Western. Auburn, N.Y.: H.C. Southwick, 1817. Digital versions at NIU Library Digitization Projects and World Vital Records ($).
Several helpful guides to place names in Missouri have been published, including:
- Beck, Lewis Caleb. Gazetteer of the States of Illinois and Missouri. 1823. Reprint. New York: Arno Press, 1975. FHL Book 977 E5b; Film 1036690 item 6; Fiche 6010063.
- Campbell, Robert Allen. Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri.St. Louis, Mo.: Campbell, 1875. FHL Film 897468.
- Wetmore, Alphonso. Gazetteer of the State of Missouri. 1837. Reprint. New York, NY: Arno Press, 1975. FHL Book 977.8 E5w; film 1036690 item 7.
For river landings, see:
- Adams, Louis A. Adam's Directory of Points and Landings on Rivers and Bayous in the States of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. (includes Tennessee) New Orleans : W.L. Murray, 1877. Digital version at Internet Archive.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News