Missouri NewspapersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Resources for Missouri Newspapers
Libraries and Archives
State Historical Society of Missouri has Missouri newspapers from about 1800, and card indexes by name and subject to some of the early papers. The Society also has a map by county of newspapers on microfilm. They are available for inter-library loan. The Society and the Family History Library also have several published abstracts and indexes of obituaries and marriages from 1808 to 1870.
The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
Digital Issues Online
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Missouri newspapers online. This database is free at some libraries. It may be under the name Access NewspaperArchive.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has historical Missouri newspapers online including the Daily Missouri Republican, 1861-1865.
- Missouri Historical Newspapers Online - via the Online Historical Newspapers Directory.
- Chronicling America has some historical issues for the state of Missouri online.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch Obituary Index - created by the St. Louis Public Library. Index covers obituaries, death notices, and burial permits. Years indexed thus far include: 1880-1927, 1942-1945, 1992-2005
- St. Louis Argus Index -- an African-American newspaper;index created by the St. Louis Public Library. Years indexed include 1915-1927, 1942-1945.
- Westliche Post Obituary Index - (St. Louis German-language newspaper) Years indexed: 1878-1892.
- Index to Selected Missouri Newspapers - Index to some 1800s Missouri newspapers at the State Historical Society of Missouri.
- William H. Taft, Missouri Newspapers, When and Where, 1808-1963 (Columbia: University of Missouri, 1964) At various libraries (WorldCat), FHL book 977.8 B3t
- The State Historical Society of Missouri Newspaper Collection
- Newspaper Abstracts - Missouri
- Ancestor Hunt - Missouri Newspapers
- St. Louis Obituary index
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News